Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:47 PM   #1

Hello, thiis is a follow up to a post I made in the which camera should I buy forum. I'm in the market for a new digital camera and almost purchased a Z1012 but held off due to an interest in the Z980. Now I also find myself considering the Olympus SP-565UZ. I'm having difficulty choosing, as each camera appears to have their strengths. Here are the issues as I see them.

Z980 pros: 24x zoom, hd video, relatively low noise levels, excellent color, sharp detail in photos
Z980 cons: some blotchiness at highest ISO's in the sample pics I saw, moderate PF, burst mode limited to 5 fps and 9 pics

SP565 pros: 20x zoom, good color (in vivid mode it seems to be on a par with the Z980), high speed burst mode can handle 13 fps for 30 pics, bulb mode (to 8 minutes)with digital cable release, time lapse mode, $80 less expensive, very little PF, sample pic I saw at ISO 3200 was free blotches
SP565 cons: more noise is visible in the photos at all ISO levels then the Kodak, photos are noticably less sharp, no hd video (only SD)

Most of the time I will be using this camea in auto mode, but I will use manual and other modes at times. I can see myself taking some night shots, particularly astronomical shots of the moon and brighter planet conjuctions. I also like to capture pics of wildlife. I also have rocketry as a hobby, so a fast burst rate is a plus for catching pics of the launches and motor ignition. (However at some point I would like to get a Casio for those and get some real speed!)

Granted, this is anOlympus forum so it may be a little biased, but which would you buy if you were in my position? I'm leaning towards the Olympus as I will probably get better use out of the faster burst rate then I would the HD video...although I really hate to give HD video up, plus I really like the sharpness that has been evident in the Kodak images. So...which do you suggest?
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2009, 7:54 AM   #2

Honestly I'd buy the 565, its a nice small camera too. But if you do not like small cameras, you might not like it. It is very small. Fits me perfect but my husband said it was too small.
SweetMom52804 is offline   Reply With Quote