Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:16 PM   #1
Default Does Anyone Have Insight on the Stylus Tough 8000??

I am getting ready to buy a new camera since I would like more resolution and possibly better photo quality than my FE-230, and the Stylus Tough 8000 seems to be a relavent choice since I am at the shore a lot and a water-proof camera would be handy. My concerns are the photo quality, controls since they do seem relatively small, and how water-proof it is, since I have read reviews where after using the camera underwater the lense cover would get stuck and also the camera would take on water on the inside. The alternative to the Stylus Tough 8000 for me would be the Canon PowerShot SD970IS. Thanks for any help!
Cameras: Fujifilm Finepix A210 (3.2MP), Olympus FE-230 (7.1MP). Next: Sony Cybershot W290 or Canon Powershot SD970IS
maxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:22 AM   #2

I bought this camera back in january of this year. It has been in the pool down to 8' numerous times and in the boat laying in saltwater alot. I haven't had a problem (YET!) with water getting into it, but I think it might soon (just the way my luck runs). The picture quality is ok, I've see better, but I'm also comparing to my Nikon D80 (more like apples to oranges). I've had some real nice shots, then some fair to say the least. Good luck with your decision.

Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 3:18 PM   #3

No more blurry (out of focus) videos: I got my Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 (10 megapixels) a month ago. Haven't used it underwater yet, but have gotten it wet at the Aquatica water park in Orlando. Thought I had a problem because all the videos I've taken have been blurry, but photos are fine. Took it back to Best Buy today, and they said since it's been more than 2 weeks, I have to contact Olympus. Their support site is pretty much useless, and so is the manual. They don't have a user forum so I found the answer in this forum (for another brand). Read that if the auto setting is on, videos might be blurry. So I checked mine, and I had the closeup on (looks like a flower, also called macro). Turned that off, and the videos work fine now. (BTW, this is the 2nd time this particular sales person has tried to help me at Best Buy. If they don't have an answer, they shouldn't say just send it back. They ought to hire people in the photo dept. that have some kind of an idea how to use the cameras they sell. Pay them more, whatever (one of them told me they don't make commissions). Also have a Nikon Coolpix 10 megapixel and love it. Takes great pictures and videos. But we wanted a waterproof camera so we bought the Olympus. Also, don't buy Fuji Finepix V10. We bought 2 of them 2 years ago and both broke in a little over a year. For both of them, the lens cover keeps closing and both are stuck now.
gfevrier is offline   Reply With Quote