Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 9, 2009, 4:17 PM   #1

Default I need sp-590uz pic help!

Very new camera to me. I am not trained in taking photos. I LOVED my Olympus Camedia c-765 and did not have this kind of picture quality problem. Perhaps I have bought too fancy of a camera for my capabilities......

These pictures are ot as crisp, clear and brilliant as some of my other pics. They look grainy/pixelated. What's wrong?

[/IMG]
1/800 f4.2 iso 1250 12m

[/IMG]

1/640 f 4.2 iso 800 12m

Thanks in advance,
Stephanie

Last edited by Stepmc10; Nov 9, 2009 at 4:18 PM. Reason: pics not able to be seen, forgot to sign it...
Stepmc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2009, 4:26 PM   #2

Obviously, I am a novice - I can't properly post the pics....
Old Nov 9, 2009, 6:11 PM   #3

Stephanie-

Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for dropping by.

No need to post at all. Your post answered the problem. The SP-590 uses a small ccd type imager about the size of a large pinhead. The SP-590 will do fairly well with its image quality, as long as you keep the ISO settin at ISO 400 and below.

It is when the ISO goes above that level, that image quality comes crashing downward in quality.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 7:36 PM   #4

I might add to what Sarah Joyce has said by saying that the SP590 is a very sophisticated piece of equipment. While having a small sensor and a fixed lens, it is in every way just as complex as a DSLR. Probably more so because of the fact that it DOES have a small sensor. Having said that, it's an outstanding camera that produces excellent images once you learn how to use it to it's capabilities. It undoubtedly has a much bigger learning curve than your old Oly. BUT, the payoffs are well-worth the learning. Do yourself a favor and learn to shoot without using the "Auto" setting. You won't regret it.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:38 PM   #5

BIG SIGH......learn to shoot in manual you suggest......HUGE task for me! I am an auto kind of photo snapper, BUT that's why I got this camera, I do want to take some very nice pics without going SLR. THANK YOU BOTH SO MUCH for your input. I unpacked the box (as it was ready to be returned) and have decided it's more of a user problem than a camera problem. I'll keep at it!

Stephanie
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepmc10 View Post
BIG SIGH......learn to shoot in manual you suggest......HUGE task for me! I am an auto kind of photo snapper, BUT that's why I got this camera, I do want to take some very nice pics without going SLR. THANK YOU BOTH SO MUCH for your input. I unpacked the box (as it was ready to be returned) and have decided it's more of a user problem than a camera problem. I'll keep at it!

Stephanie
You have chosen wisely, grasshopper! Manual is not the only mode, Stephanie. I far prefer Aperture or even Program mode with Manual as a semi-last resort. As I stated above, your efforts to learn to get out of Auto will not be in vain. As proof, do a search in these forums for images taken with the SP590. You'll see what I mean. While I own an E-410 DSLR, my weapon of choice is the SP590. Here's a small example of what I mean.

My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Nov 10, 2009 at 8:18 PM.
gjtoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 6:54 AM   #7

WOW! Nice pic and very encouraging post. My primary subjects are 2, soon to be 3, small kids. I am afraid that while fiddeling around with my camera I'll miss the shot.
But, I am going to keep at it. Perhaps I'll figure out how to post pics soon ( it wouldn't even let me upload to an album due to "security" reasons).

Thanks 4 your time,
Stephanie
Old Nov 11, 2009, 7:12 AM   #8

Default This one is not sooo bad.....iso100, f3.5 1/50

Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:02 PM   #9

Default Here's one I like....

Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:17 PM   #10

This one looked way better in the LCD screen. To me the color is off and the kids aren't a clear and crisp as I'd like them.... 1/250, f 5.6, iso 64, shot in A.

Last edited by Stepmc10; Nov 11, 2009 at 3:18 PM. Reason: forgot some info