Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:08 AM   #1
Default Glad I'm not...

... in Japan. It would be just my luck to buy one of these.

Olympus has apologised after it distributed a digital camera in Japan that came with added malware on its internal memory card.

An estimated 1,700 Stylus Tough 6010 digital compact cameras shipped pre-pwned with auto-run code designed to infect Windows PCs they were connected to, net security firm Sophos reports. The malware uses a USB connection infection route that has become one of the most popular means of malware distribution in recent years.

Olympus has apologised for the problem and promised to improve its quality control procedures to prevent future outbreaks. The incident is the latest in a long line of digital devices that come pre-infected with malware. Recent examples include Samsung Wave phones shipped in Germany, TomTom satellite navigation devices and Apple Video iPods. Last month IBM handed out malware-ridden USB sticks at a security conference in Australia.

These infestations normally start with an infected PC on production lines or testing rigs used by gadget manufacturers and their partners. Suppliers need to apply improved quality controls to minimise embarrassing digital device incidents. Meanwhile consumers are advised to disable Autorun in Windows, as a guard against possible attacks.
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
Pentax K-3 ~ Panasonic FZ1000 ~ Panasonic ZS40
My Gallery

Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:21 AM   #2

Thanks for the added "heads-up," Gary-

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote