Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:42 PM   #1
Default Olympus Tough 6020

Folks, annually I take a long range fishing trip out of San Diego. I'm on the boat with about 30 other anglers and the ship is rather large. Last year I took my DSLR with me and got some incredible shots but I had to leave my camera at the tackle station while fishing. Because of that, I missed a ton of shots because I couldn't keep my camera in my pocket.

I've got a Canon IS720 that takes good pix but I noticed my local Sam's Club has an Olympus Tough 6020 for $180. Is this camera worthy of consideration? I like the fact that it is "tough" and waterproof. It is actually a bit smaller than my Canon. I doubt the extra megapixels matters.

I'm open to comments/suggestions/criticisms. Thanks in advance. I leave in a week.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:30 PM   #2

That camera will do well in the rough and wet world of a fishing boat. Just be aware that it is not designed to have as good a picture quality as a dslr. However, you can take it without worry that the environment will hurt it. And somewhat lessor quality image is better than no image at all. Depends on how large print size that you plan to make. At $180 you really can't go wrong. It could become your regular "fishing" camera. go for it.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:28 AM   #3

I have an earlier model in the series the SW1050 and it makes very good pictures. Its limited to 3x zoom but the pictures it makes are very good. Its small, fits in pocket, can go in rain but the one thing that bugs me is that the battery life is not very good. I sometimes need all three of my batteries in order to finish an afternoon photo assignment. Other than that I love the camera myself. The one you are looking at is rated for deep submersion in water than mine.....

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote