Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 9, 2002, 9:05 AM   #1
Default C 5040 Anyone?

I have had the 3040 for over a year now and I love it. However, I have also purchased the Canon D60 and can't believe the quality of the print blow-ups I have gotten, but I still use my 3040 for around town, etc. Anyone have a clue on whether Oly will introduce a 5+ mp sensor. I'd love to get something like that so I can keep all my accessories and U/W housing. Maybe I'm just dreaming though!!

undrwtr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2002, 9:02 PM   #2

We've seen Olympus shy away from the high-end in recent days, focusing on Consumer digicams with smaller feature sets (c-3020, C-4000, D-520, C-720UZ). Well what drives the market; the purchasing power of the consumer, and they just want an easy to use point and shoot camera. I really don't expect to see a 5MP C-5040 anytime actually.

As I mentioned in another post, if we think back to Feb 2002, we remember a company called Foveon coming out with a new CCD, which when used will enable greater detail, longer video and a lower cost. At the time, both Olympus and Kodak expressed an interest in the Foveon; what that interest is only they know for sure. I can only speculate that they might revive the advanced point and shoot and SLR lines with their incredible optics (here's me hoping for a C-3100UZ, C-4100UZ or even a C-5100UZ sometime in the future) at a lower price. I guess if they can get the cameras down to a cost-effective price at which they can produce them, we might see the return of these specialty cameras that cost them so much money to begin with.

Also on that waiting list is Olympus' response to the Nikon 5700, Fuji's S602, Minolta's Dimage 7i, Sonys F707 (to a lesser extent, but you gotta love that laser).

I don't really think a 5mp C-5040 will be seen though, unless they can get it under $500USD MSRP; consumers are becoming more budget concious, and the enthuisiasts are becoming more discerning, what would be nice to see is a C-5140UZ - now that's my idea of a camera.

*Note these numbers mean nothing and do not represent actual product lines by Olympus. They are just used for speculation purposes so that one can extrapolate the features of the c-xx40 models and the c-5xxx at 5mp and the c-x1xxUZ as a relative of the feature set of the C-2100UZ.
kuemauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2002, 9:17 PM   #3

A 5050 is due out in November....it looks like a winner to me. Check out this site for a picture of it:

It's in Hebrew but it's the real thing. You could probably find more info on this if you search the web...

[Edited on 8-18-2002 by steve]
shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2002, 11:45 PM   #4

Did your eyes bulge wide as you looked at those images. Anyway, after salivating for a while I pulled out the english words and extrapolated a bit, so don't put my head on a block for these numbers but they seem consistent.

Olympus CAMEDIA C-5050ZOOM
5.0 Megapixels
C3040 C4040 ? ...
Focal Length: 35-105mm
Optical Zoom: X3
Lens: ultra-bright F1.8-F.6
Digital Zoom: X3.3
Digital ESP - Electro Selective Pattern
Flash Hot Shoe for Olympus FL-40 )
TTL iESP- intelligent Electro Selective Pattern
Powerful Image Processing Engine
sepia tint, blackboard, whiteboard, black/white ,
manual White Balance
Optical Real-Image Viewfinder
Flip-out LCD
Supported Media : xD-Picture Card , SmartMedia/CF Type I/II Microdrive - 1GB
Bundled with: 32 MB xD-Picture Card

Now Let me go back to salivating. Thanks for the link Shorty. It looks like an unbelievable camera; and if due out in November it could mean they have time to get bigger lens.

What I love so far (from the picture)
- F1.8 super bright lens
- Flip out LCD (its about time)
- Smartmedia/xD/CFI,II support
- 32MB xD card (remember those 8MB cards we used to get)
- an updated version of a tried and true design
- Flash Hotshoe
- Optical Viewfinder

One concern I have about this being a 5.0 Megapixel camera: 3X Optical Zoom? Are they serious? I know they lost money on the 10X IS zooms of the E-100RS and C-2100UZ, but come on now; surely they could do better than that.

I'm sure all these reviewers already know about this camera but are bound by Non-disclosure agreements. Me on the other hand, I just clicked a link on from the last message and had Google translate the page. The Internet... information for the masses.
Old Aug 18, 2002, 12:56 AM   #5

Spposedly the C-5050 will be introduced in Europe on Monday 8/19 but we won't announce it over here for about another month. That's all I can say for now but it looks great !

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2002, 4:33 PM   #6

Yeah Buddy!! When I first saw it my eyes bulged, my mouth salivated, my toes spread, and if I had any hair on my bald head, it would've stood straight on-end. This camera is a beauty! Can't wait for it to get here. Any idea why a major manufacturer such as Olympus would introduce their latest models in overseas markets and not ours? We're the worlds largest consumers, why not here first??
shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2002, 8:32 PM   #7

Any hints on when we should be expecting cameras with Foveon CCDs which were supposed to bring the prices down to consumer level?

I know you can't legally talk about the features of the camera, so lets be hypotetical - would a 5.0Mp digicam with a regular (3X or 4X) optical zoom be targeting consumers of prosumers?

I know Olympus has SLRs with a 4.3X optical zoom (regular cameras, folks). But would the prosumer really go for the smaller zoom cameras with all the trimmings and higher megapixels? As it is, the competition stands at:
Nikon 5700 (8X Optical), same flip out LCD, Sony F707 (5X Optical) and the Nikon 5000. I think this camera was going after the Nikon 5000; however with Nikon's surprise of the 5700 with it's long zoom several manufacturers could've been caught by surprise as they literally upped the ante in the 5.0Mp category.

Look at me... I feel like I've been reading Digicam reviews for a good fraction of my life. It's reached a stage that although I get excited by new camera announcements, when I review the specs they usually leave me wanting. The Sony F707 was the closest thing to perfection that I had seen so far. Steve, I think I'd be good at this review thing, I could call it "Kue's Gut Feeling" - got any openings?
Old Aug 18, 2002, 8:38 PM   #8

Oh did I forget to include Minolta in that line up? There's a reason for that... I've never used their camera (Dimage 7i) but I can put it like this: If at first you don't succeed, try and try again. Then even if that doesn't succeed... pretend it did while you try and try again.
Old Aug 19, 2002, 3:03 AM   #9
Default Olympus official announce

arcenciel_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2002, 11:01 AM   #10
Default It's a toy (to me)...

Any digital camera of this calibre, in this day and age should come with a proper WYSIWYG viewfinder and not one of those offset ones. To me, that belongs on those cheap pocket 110 cameras of the 70's.

That's why I bought the 700, and not something like the 3020. You'd think that these days an LCD viewfinder would be standard because it would be so easy to do, rather than figure out how to make a straight-thru viewfinder adjust for zoom!

The only times I use the monitor on the back of my 700 are for seeing what I shot, and if I'm taking a shot where I'm holding up the camera (say over a crowd of people).

[Edited on 8-19-2002 by Mike_PEAT]
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote