Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 19, 2003, 7:40 AM   #1
Default Olympus c-5000 vs Canon A80

I am a novice and will be purchasing my first digital camera. My original choice was to go with the Canon A80 because it has a nice combination of auto and manual features plus it is a 4 megapixel camera and it is within my budget. Then I chanced upon the Olympus C-5000 and I like it because of a couple of things.

1. 5 MP
2. Hotshoe (I do not intend to buy the flash now.. may in the long run)
3. uncompressed TIFF format
4. Remote control
5. a great value (within my budget)

But i get a lot of complaints about poor indoor focusing and no AF illuminator.

My purpose of using the digital camera would be for family photos (But both indoor and outdoor shots ) and also for novice photography.

So in conclusion does the canon A80 perform better than the C-5000 because of good image quality inspite of not having hotshoe and uncompressed TIFF format ?

Can you tell me in other words what are the advantages of Canon a80 over C-5000 and the disadvantages.

I would be really grateful if you can have the patience to guide me. It is my first digital camera and I love photography and I would love to have a good experience with the digital camera.

Thanks a lot
NK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2003, 12:07 AM   #2

I have just recently purchased this camera and am extremely happy with it! The controls are intuitive and easy to use. The Quick View button makes picture review a snap even when the LCD monitor is off to save battery power. The photos have all been extremely sharp with true colors. I have tried to use my flash on the hot shoe and am having some troubles but otherwise have had no technical difficulties. I nearly bought the canon a80 but I think that this is definately a superior camera: lighter, more ergonomic, and sharp pictures without the "purple fringe" problems. It is incredibly easy to use and settings can be changed easilly. Photos print up with great color rendition with minimal need to tweak in photoshop. I have had no problem with "blue banding" of the sky as described in one review. There is no autofocus light but it seems to do well indoors. I think that you need to understand how the auto focus works and aim the focus marks in the viewfinder at something in the picture that has lines / features that it can focus on. I have a canon elan 7 with an autofocus lamp and it is more of a nusance than help... As far as red eye goes, all small compact cameras are plagued by this problem as it is inherent in small cameras. Red eye reduction helps some but if you want to take lots of photos of people indoors, get the stand alone flash for the hot shoe. Go for this one, it is a winner!
jamie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 7:40 AM   #3

One of the major complaints against the A80 is red eye. Red eye is common among most digital cameras because the flash is close to the lens. Canon owners are complaining that red eye occurs to frequently with the A80.

Olympus built a basic camera with the C2000 and over the years have made improvements to the original. This approach has produced very good products through the last 4 or 5 years. I think you will find this camera will produce excellent pictures
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote