Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 28, 2003, 1:39 PM   #1
Default Mju 300 & 400 AKA the "stylus 400"

I've just edited the thread - The camera I'm asking about is the Stylus 400 I believe. It's called the "Mju" in the UK.

I'm looking for a pocket sized digital camera. I already have an Olympus C3000 Zoom which I have found to be excellent, but it's a little bulky for a pocket.

I bought a Casio QV R-40 a couple of days ago and am unhappy with the picture quality. Great build quality, metal body, excellent start-up time, but......

awful pictures compared to the Olympus. Many out of focus shots, poor depth of field, lots of grain, hair looks very "digital", and the pesky digital zoom seems to keep turning itself back on despite numerous attempts to cancel this useless function. Fiddly little controls - lots of useless tricks but not enough basic photographic quality.

I'm going to try and get a refund, and get something better. There are already 2 Olympus digicams in the family, so for ease of sharing software (& XD memory in some cases), another of the same brand would make sense.

Image quality is very important to me, but on this occasion, I now need pocket sized portabilty (I take action shots while out dirt-bike riding). The camera must be fairly tough (ie a metal body if possible) but also not too expensive in case I break it!!!

Although I'd prefer to use AA batteries, I'm thinking of the Olympus Mju 300 or 400.

Has anyone got any criticisms of these cameras, particularly with regard to image quality?

I use cameras mainly for taking pictures for my website (www.biketours-uk.com) where ulimate resolution isn't that important, but I want to be able create large-ish prints from time to time, when I get a reallly great shot.
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links