Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 29, 2003, 9:20 PM   #1
Default any c5060 users in here?

Hi All,

To all of you C5060 users out there please tell me what your honest opinion is on your new camera.

I am very much considering getting one too, so I have been going around posting this question in the "OLY" forums as I take peoples
views much more seriously then I do a web-site review (I don't mean to insult anyone though)

I was already to get one but someone was really complaning about how it is absolutly useless in low light conditions, so whats your take on that?

Thanks for responding...
Hardware-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2003, 10:17 AM   #2
Default C5060 experience

Although I have been involved in 35mm photography for over 30 years, this is my first experience with digital - so consider me ignorant in this arena.

My experience with this camera has exceeded my expectations in every area but one. That is the delay between depressing the shutter button and when the photo is taken, ESPECIALLY in low light situations where the camera needs to rely on its focusing light to lock on. Using the continuous focusing feature does not help. Over the Christmas holidays, I learned that taking photos of little people (who neither pose nor cooperate) involves far more luck than skill. My acceptable success rate ran about 5%. However, I understand that this is a factor with nearly all digital cameras and reviews suggest that others are even worse, so perhaps this is a moot point in this arena. Nevertheless, I think this would be an issue worth investigating for those masochists who shoot weddings, in which, like shooting trap or skeet, a target presents itself suddenly and for a brief period of time, and if you miss the shot, it is gone forever!

In all other areas, this camera produces prints up to 8x10 using my hp 7960 printer that exceed anything I have been able to produce with my 35mm Nikon and Contax/Zeiss equipment. (And the ability to patch up photographer errors with photo software seems too good to be true.)
exagorazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 10:58 AM   #3

Dear Harware Geek,
I've been conversing withg Exagorozo regarding this camera for several weeks also.
I'm a professional and feel the camera is excellent. I shoot quite often in low light and, in fact, replaced aq 3040z with the faster 1.8 lens with this newer model. The 5060 produces better low light images than the older camera, despite the slower lens.

I had reservations before getting the 5060 due to the L-ion battery, abut it has also exceeded my expactations. I had wished the 5060 had used the same AA's of my former 3040 and 2040, but I've gotten over it.
maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 6:29 PM   #4

Thanks guys,

Hey maury, please tell me how you got your good shots in a low-level light condition.

Did you just put the camera in manual-mode and then delay the shutter?

Hardware-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 10:35 PM   #5

In low light I most often shoot at ISO 400 with noise reduction on.
I more often than not am in P mode and will adjust exposure compensation often to underexpose from metered setting which appears more like what I see. Sometimes I'll add some fill-flash by diong "2nd curtain" slow synch and experiment with the flash being -1 or so and ambient light at normal or normal flash with the3 ambient setting -.3 to -1. I'll leave WB in Auto if shooting flash and Tungsten setting if I'm not using flash.
I've learned many strategies over the years for steadying the camera, but I still get my share of fuzzy shots. I'll do an immedaite view to see if it's sharp then shoot more if it's not.
Camera steadying strategies:
Set the camera on a table or brace it against a wall, pole or other hard fixed surface.
Brace my elbows as a sort of "bipod" and hold as steady as possible.
Pull the camera tight against my neckstrap and view the LCD from above like a TLR camera.
Step on the strap and pull up to steady the camera.
I try not to carry a tripod due to the candid nature of most of my work.

Hope this helps.
maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 2:15 PM   #6

I just purchased the C-5060 two weeks ago after testing my husband's C-750 for several months. They are both great cameras, the C-750 can't be beat for telephoto, but I was looking more for the super macro and wide angle options, plus the ability to add more lenses. My background is computer, as a web designer and administrator for many years, I am new to the "non point and shoot" type of camera. I bought this one to grow with, already knowing what I could do with images by using Photoshop.

That said, I am totally pleased with this camera. The super macro shots at 3 cm are crisp and clear, as are photos taken at a regular distance. The flexibility and ease of use is amazing, and I really like the slightly larger and movable LCD monitor. It definitely was exactly what I was looking for, no regrets.
Francie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 9:30 AM   #7

I've been using my Oly C5060 for over a month now and am totally pleased with everything about it. Went to a museum the other day fully intending to shoot with existing light only. That in mind, I used my tripod, set up the shot, set focus with the half press shutter release and took the pictures with the remote release button. Worked perfectly. Everything I shot was in glass cases so I had some reflections from other items behind me, but adjusting the shooting angle helped that a lot.

As I mentioned in another forum, this camera is complex and has a lot of capability. An inexperienced shooter like me (particularly with advanced feature capability) needs to read and study the manual that comes with this camera. It's not as intuitive as plugging in a new PC if you've used one before. I think everyone who has reservations about this camera should resign to reading the manual intently and practicing before expecting perfect results. Believe me, I know I'm no expert at all but have done some training. Use your resources. Do lot's of bracketing which means take several shots of the same subject using manual adjustments. Once you've uploaded the pics to your PC, look at the data captured for each pic and notice the attributes of your best pics.
Guaranteed you will get the most satisfaction out of the camera and the hobby if you know your tools. Hope this helps some readers.

If the pro shooters think this camera is so poor in low light, don't rap this camera, just go get another that does what you need it to do....
Old Jan 16, 2004, 3:54 PM   #8

I bought a C5060 for Christmas and have used it for "Holiday pictures". In terms of shooting in low lighting conditions, I have done it two ways. People pic's I have used the flash and have been pretty happy with the results. I have used "P" mode (auto) and portrait mode, with the flash set on default. I have found the flash to overexpose some, and I have tuned it down with the user menu.

Without using the flash, I have found the shutter speed to be too slow for hand held shoots. I am talking about shooting at night, indoors, in a room with average light. I don't think most camera's would do well in these conditions, although maybe some would?? I looked at what f stop I needed to shoot at 1/60 of a second and the camera was 3 f stops away from where it needed to be. I can't remember the exact f stop it was at. I simply turned on the flash and shot some pretty good pict's.

I would say that this camera has more flexibility than virtually any other in its class and price range. You should be able to get results you are happy with, one way or the other. If you are purely talking about Non-flash shots, hand held, in low light and want proper exposure, this camera is at the mercy of its lens capabilities. To get better shots, use a tripod, turn on the flash, get an accessory flash, or find a camera with a significantly faster lens. For all other conditions, this camera is sure to please.
SCOTTB is offline   Reply With Quote