Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 19, 2004, 4:32 PM   #1
Default C-5050 vs. C-5060

Trying to decide between the 5050 and 5060 but having a hard time. My primary use for the camera would be underwater photography (primarily w/flash but some without) but I am planning to get back into photography so I am looking for a camera that can "do it all".

My problem is this: The C-5050 gets great reviews but I keep reading about "low light noise" and "slow focusing" issues. The Chromatic Aberrations problem also gets a lot of play but I am not too worried about that when it comes to underwater photography. The C-5060 seems to have resolved all of these issues but it's a bit larger than the 5050 and uses a new "proprietery battery".

Basically I am trying to find out if the "better" 5060 image quality, addition of the passive AF sensor, and increased focusing speed is enought to justify getting a slightly larger camera and, more importantly, giving up the ability to use AA batteries in a pinch. Can someone tell me if the changes in the 5060 are truly noticeable or are we talking about the difference between a Porche and Ferarri, lol.

Thanks in advance!!!
Buliwyff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2004, 8:51 AM   #2

Look at this site.To compare the two cameras.

EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 9:19 AM   #3

This is one place where you can see the results of a C-5050 in an underwater environment. There is another site, but I can't find it right now. Check this one out.
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:54 AM   #4

Umm, the C-5060WZ has a much slower lens than the C-5050Z, so it 'solves' the low light focusing issues by not doing it.
Michael Meissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:31 PM   #5

I would argue Michael M's. point:

"it 'solves' the low light focusing issues by not doing it".

The 5060z can indeed shoot in low light and do it well, so it "does it".

Yes, it's a slower lens, but the camera is a capable and versatile piece.
The battery far outlasts AA NiMh's and I'm sure there will be aftermarket options from sources such as DigiPower soon.
maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 11:10 AM   #6

If I were you, I would judge by what type of underwater set up you are planning to buy. I am a diver and I bought the C5060, versus the C5050. The reason being that I do not want to spend thousands of dollars on the UW set up, and I don't want to get that serious about it just yet. I plan to buy the Oly PT-020 housing for around $300 and probably the Oly flash and its Oly housing. I will use that for quite a while and see what I can do with it.

If you plan to invest some serious money and get a "Non-Oly" housing and a strobe light, I would buy the C5050. The equipment all exists and the set ups have been figured out. I would advise you to stay away from Oly's housing for the 5050, I think it is the PT-015. It has leaked on a handfull of people and its design seems to have some problems. The 5060 Oly housing is designed by Olympus and I am hoping it is more robust (don't know yet, too new) than the 5050 housing which was designed by a third party company for Oly.

Both cameras are very good, with the 5050 you will want different UW lens and attachments. With the 5060, I plan to use the lens it comes with, which is 28MM and should do OK UW. So again, if you want to do a serious UW set up, get the 5050 and if you want to just take pic's UW for minimum $$$'s then the 5060 is the choice, or you will have to wait till the serious set ups are designed, debugged, and out on the market to buy for the 5060.
SCOTTB is offline   Reply With Quote