Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 21, 2004, 4:50 PM   #1
Default Olympus C4000 - Very poor quality pics !!!!!

I was convinced after reading a lot of reviws of the C4000 to buy one up until I downloaded some pics from it.
the pics from various sites all had purple fringing and more alarming JPEG artefacts !!!!
the file sizes on average were about 1- 2 mb so I was very surprised given that the camera is known for it's high quality pics
what I did like was that they were sharp and the contrast was good but overall I thought the pics were poor.
Can anyone explain why the camera is rated so highly ?
hopper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2004, 11:57 AM   #2

The C4000 is highly rated b/c it offers very good image quality and extensive features and controls for the price.

Note that all digicams will produce some degree of secondary spectrum, aka chromatic aberration or purple fringing. It's most common in high-contrast compositions.

Perhaps you should compare sample images from the C4000 to some samples from other cameras...

Everything is relative in the world of consumer digicams... Perhaps a dSLR w/ an larger, full-frame sensor would better suit your tastes...
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 1:26 PM   #3

Posted this yesterday but it seems to have gone astray, no matter here goes agian.

I have had C4000 for over a year and in that time taken 3000+ photos with it and I can honestly say that the quality of shots both on-screen and when printed out upto 8x10 is excellent. easily on par with my 35mm SLR (any takers for a EOS 50e).

Take a look at my gallery for some examples of what this camera can produce.
jabtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 8:53 PM   #4

You might want to check the sharpness and contrast settings, particularly if it's a refurbished camera. They may have "defaulted" to a high setting.

Excessive sharpening or contrast enhancement in the camera will exaggerate any artefacts of the imaging system. Just something else to check.
n3elz is offline   Reply With Quote