Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:32 PM   #1

Default Which Oly DSLR to buy

I'm looking for an Oly DSLR to compliment my Oly E-PL2. I see there are a few new E-420's on Ebay for under 300.00. Is this a decent camera and what would a E-520 bring to the table over the E-420. Thanks guys.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:51 PM   #2

James, you mistakenly posted this in the Oly P&S forum.
OscarTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:55 PM   #3

Thanks. I'll repost. How do I delete this or don't I?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 4:02 PM   #4

I don't believe there is an option to delete your own thread with this forum software.
OscarTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:09 PM   #5

Fear not James... The E520 adds in body image stabilization and I believe delivers better dynamic range also. It is also physically bigger- this may or may not be a plus point- depends on your point of view..! The body also has a few more direct buttons on the E520, as opposed to digging into the menu.
I've had very little hands on experience with the Oly E's- but when I did, I was very impressed with the IQ in good lighting conditions- capturing a very good level of detail and accurate colour. They don't match up to an APS-C sensor in low light conditions/high iso use, but aside from that, a very competent camera. The Lenses are nice also...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:15 PM   #6

Mmm, I thought they were APS-C's like the Canons and Nikons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Fear not James... The E520 adds in body image stabilization and I believe delivers better dynamic range also. It is also physically bigger- this may or may not be a plus point- depends on your point of view..! The body also has a few more direct buttons on the E520, as opposed to digging into the menu.
I've had very little hands on experience with the Oly E's- but when I did, I was very impressed with the IQ in good lighting conditions- capturing a very good level of detail and accurate colour. They don't match up to an APS-C sensor in low light conditions/high iso use, but aside from that, a very competent camera. The Lenses are nice also...
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:27 PM   #7

Alas, no- the 4/3 Olympus sensor measures 17.3mm x 13mm and is obviously in the 4/3 format as opposed to the 3/2 APS-C format.
The Canon APS-C sensor measures 22.2mm x 14.8mm and the Nikon variant measures 23.6mm x 15.7mm- which is why they perform better at higher iso settings.

If you don't venture over iso 800, I don't think it would be an issue worth worrying about.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote