Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 15, 2004, 3:50 PM   #1

Default will c 770 be better than c 750?

hello, I have compared the specs of the 750 and the new 770. Not sure if there is any really significant improvements from the 750 to the 770.
How do you all see this issue?
Have about decided to move up from my lovely little d 550 to either the new minolta Z or get the oly brand.

Msongs
Riverside CA
Msongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2004, 2:20 AM   #2

I have been wondering the same thing.

I pretty much had made my mind up to buy the 750. now what do i do?
scockrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 8:12 AM   #3

My problem indeed: is it worth waiting for one/two months? While it's NOW possible to buy the very decent C-750 at bottomprice (you even get a cell-phone for free when buying a C-750)? I think I just won't bother about the EVF having some more pixels and buy myself a C-750...

<edit>
maybe the new Oly's will have a more solid lens... reading those posts quite scare me.
</edit>
Ignorance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 8:40 AM   #4

Default C-770 vs. C750

The C-770 seems to be significantly smaller, almost pocketable.
It has the most advanced movie feature available today, including high compression MPEG4 for a x3-factor file size reduction.

Hopefully EVF, low light focusing and zoom response were also improved.

Regards, Herbert
HerbertRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 6:54 AM   #5

Quote:
The C-770 seems to be significantly smaller, almost pocketable
Err. its measurments according to the Oly website are almost identical to my C-750.... which is almost pocketable anyway...

If I was a betting man, I'd say the PQ/lens will be identical, but the movie mode is better... and it is a tad faster, although no-where near the likes of the Minolta Z1...

So, if like me, you can get the C-750 for a bargain price, it would make sense, if the movie mode is not required...

If it is, then I would suggest waiting for the Canon S1 , 10X image stabilised lens, and full VGAmovie mode with zoom/autofocus!!! which must be a first!!! and its quite compact..... and not too pricey... this may just well replace my C-750...
phil-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 7:16 AM   #6

I myself do not consider the C7x0 lens durable enough without a protective filter/tube.
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 8:21 PM   #7

770 also has a bigger LCD screen, I just bought the 750, it will do me for now. In Australia the tight a$#%# at Oly don't even give you a charger with the camera you have to buy that seperate. hehe.
magyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 1:06 AM   #8

Default Olympus 765 and 770

The Olympus web site now lists new models, including the c-765 and c-770. They have a feature to compare their cameras, but so far the 765 and 770 don't show up in the list for comparison. The 765 and 770 have 1.8 inch lcds compared to the 1.5 on the 750. I can't tell any other difference--in an earlier post someone commented on the video performance.

If you can figure out what else is different please post!
Tom Schauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 4:13 PM   #9

I'm about to buy an olympus C-750, but I think I might as well buy the upgraded C-765, since the chances are quite small -I suppose- that the new camera will be worse than his predecessor. And that "truePic"-toy... Well
Or does anyone has experiences w/ an upgraded version being NOT better?
And I guess the "improved movie quality" of the C-770 isn't worth the extra money? I remember vaguely reading a post that really better movie quality can only be archieved by another type CCD or something...
BTW:
C-750: 429 EUR
C-765: 499 EUR
C-770: 639 EUR

Thanks!
Ignorance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 5:45 PM   #10

Sadly, the C-770/C-765 will NOT have a remote in the package, OR as an option. Because of this, I will not be purchasing the C-770 as planned, and will now consider the Canon Powershot S1 which has IS and an available (optional) remote.

To me, a digicam with 10X zoom and no IS (C-770) NEEDS a way to put it on a tripod and actuate the shutter remotely.

It's a shame, because the cannon is only 3mp and is bulkier and heavier than the C-770. I think Olympus blew it on this one.

Jim H.
jhimmel is offline   Reply With Quote