Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:04 PM   #1
Default playing around with RAW

After 4 years of owning my SP-565 I finally go around to taking some RAW photos. It was a dreary, damp evening so I decided to play around with a little guy (lady?) I found hiding under the Christmas tree skirt after taking down the tree. Photos were taken using super macro mode. Processing was done in Paintshop Pro X5. I compared it to the jpg and Paintshop did a fine job with it's default choices...very close to the in camera jpg in colors, exposure (just a bit darker in the RAW image), etc. There is a small loss of detail in the jpg as the edges of the bug are a bit sharper in the RAW image. These photos's are crops taken from the original 10MP file.

Second image looks to be just a tad out of focus, light wasn't that great (I was illuminating the bug with a flashlight) so the camera had a bit of trouble finding focus (either that or I didn't hold it steady enough as the shutter speeds were a bit slow...shutter was 1/15 second). First photo was taken at 1/50 second. Both used F/3.5 at ISO 125.

Just thought I'd share.... :-)
Attached Images

Last edited by caheaton; Jan 14, 2014 at 8:07 PM.
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:56 AM   #2

Interesting shots. Thank you for posting these. As you can see, the depth of field at f3.5 can be very shallow, and you did good holding steady at such low shudder speeds when combined with high magnification.

You may get a chance to experiment with a higher ISO under those conditions so you can up a higher shutter speed and f-stop the next time you come across a challenge like this one.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote