Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 25, 2004, 7:03 AM   #1
Default The Proverbial what to get; 750, G5

I have a purchase decision to make.
Son, Junior in college, some photographic experience. We have had a 2100UZ for three years, its being repaired for lack of a suitable replacement. But the boy needs a camera for general use, travel etc.
He does not want a tiny camera, and after the 2100, he appreciates a good photo (and expects one). He likes the Canon G5 for size, features and reviews. He also likes the 750, and has looked at the Pentax 555. I know he will probably use the camera in a basic POS mode most of the time, and just want decent results, so convenience and durability are significant factors. I tend to advise him to take the 750 for my experience with Olympus, because I think sooner or later he will appreciate the zoom, and because I think any of these cameras will be comparable in the POS mode, provided good technique is employed.
I have use a Fuji 4900 at work and am generally disappointed. Have used an early Sony camera and was impressed, and briefly an Oly E-1 (NOT in the mix this time!).
Any help from those with experience in terms of advice on quality, ease of use, durability etc. Any other suggestions welcome.
Thanks in advance.

2100UZ, Fuji 4900,
herbavorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2004, 8:27 AM   #2

Impossible question. Best indoor low-light camera is not best outdoor camera.

Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote