Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 25, 2004, 11:25 PM   #1
Default oLYMPUS c-2100 Smartmedia Card problems

I am having problems with my Smartmedia cards. I take the pictures with no problems. Then I take the card out of the camera and download the pictures with a card reader. For some reason I have had a couple cards that when I put them back in the camera it registered as a code F error. This means I need to do a card setup. I have deleted everything on the card through the camera menu and it still gives me the error. This makes the card virtually useless.

Has anyone else had this problem and how can I save the card?

skbross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2004, 6:11 PM   #2

Hi Kay,

Try this:

Insert/remove your smartmedia several times.

Sometimes, it the "reader" in the camera that
won't read the card.

By moving media in and out several times, you
can "clean" the contact.

Good luck
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:59 PM   #3

Sorry you are having this problem... The problem was caused by you writing to the SmartMedia card while it was in your card reader. It is aggravated by the fact that the format function of the camera only doing a "quick" format, and not actually performing a low level format to restore the card.

Even if you only Move pictures off the card in the card reader, it may write back to the card, upsetting the formatting enough that your camera can't recognize it. Here's the solution to your problem: Never perform any write function to your card while in the reader! XP's feature of deleting pictures after successful transfer seems to be the exception to the rule.

SO.... what do you do with the card you have damaged? There's a utility out there called SMPREP, which is included with many smartmedia card readers. I have a Dazzle brand reader, and it came with it. It also comes with ZIO and many others, but these two will definitely do the job for you. Pay $15 or less for a card reader that has SMPREP, run the SMPREP format on your card, and then you can format it in your camera.

It's an old topic, but the solution remains the same... I hope you find this helpful!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote