Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:18 AM   #1
Default Olympus SZ-16 Uploading to computer

I recently bought the Olympus SZ-16 and I have a question about uploading pictures from the camera to my computer. When I plug the USB cord into the camera and the computer, I get the message on my camera "Do not remove USB cord". There is also a symbol that looks like an N with arrows on the legs of the N. By the time I get the pictures uploaded to my computer, the message is gone but the "N" remains on the camera viewfinder. I am running Windows 8 and I do not have an icon in my system tray that says it is ok to remove hardware. Can I just unplug the USB cord once the pictures are uploaded to my computer? I know this probably sounds like a really dumb question but I want to make sure I'm not doing any potential damage to my camera.

Thank you.
Sandeelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:53 PM   #2

G'day Sandee

Firstly - welcome to Steve's photo forum - you'll find a nice mob of people here all open to ideas and suggestions for bettering your photos etc

I don't use Win 8 so don't know the "N" symbol you are referring to ... but
as with any computer, once the actual copying / transferring of images has finished, it is okay to disconnect things

An important note is 'not' to let the windows wizard copy your images into a folder with today's date on it - as after a year or two, you will never find your images again amongst dozens & dozens of folders all named by a date. Take control of the process and you can move your images into your subject-named folders so that you can always recover your images when needed

Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:17 AM   #3

Hi Sandeelee: Yes, Ozzie is correct. And his recommendation to used subject-named folders is especially true.

The only thing that I would add is a recommendation that you buy a USB card reader and use that to transfer your images to your computer.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote