Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 15, 2004, 9:36 AM   #1
Default Bit the bullet! FL-50

Ever since buying my C-755, I've been wanting an external flash. I looked at Sunpak, but finally decided on the Oly FL-50--mostly for the TTL feature for automatic output adjust.

I've used it only a few times yet, but am pleased with the results. Yes, it's pricey and no, the focus assist doesn't work with the C-755 .

On the other hand, the ability to shift zoom ranges without worrying about changes in shutter speed, f-stop or flash coverage is welcome, especially when working in darker surroundings. I did some pretty dark night shooting last night at a hi-matsuri (fire festival), and the focus seemed to be better than I imagined it would be under the torchlight.

Without flash:

With flash:

Another attraction is its use of the same CR-V3 batteries as the C-755, and with a 50 GN, it has quite a long reach. It's appearance seems more unwieldly than it actually is in use.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2004, 6:58 PM   #2

I have a Sunpak 622 that I am going to try out on the 750, just need to get next time I am at a camera store to get the adapter to run between the hotshoe and the flash, had one but it has gone walk abouts. Be interesting to see if it works. Must look up the FL50 when I am in, I do need that additional flash and it would have the advantage of TTL over the Sunpak.
Gordon. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:12 PM   #3

The sunpak 622 is quite a good choice for digi-cams. I have been using one one for a couple of years and it is so powerful that it can usually keep up with a few three frame-per-second bursts.

Be sure to check that the trigger voltage at the hot shoe adapter is no greater than 7.5V. Full TTL control doesn't work with my Olympus digital camera but auto (metering at the hot-shoe adapter) works fine.

Don't bother with expensive battery packs - 4 5000mAh NiMH C-cells in the standard CG-10 have the juice for about a thousand pictures. The medium-format bracket fits some digital cameas very well and the diffusion head softens up portraits - both are very good accessories.

I'm also going to add a Sunpak FP-38 to my lighting kit to use as a slave and for fill.
Hillerud is offline   Reply With Quote