Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 15, 2004, 1:59 PM   #1
Default C-2100 Ultra Zoom question

I got this camera from a friend of mine about 2 months ago, I have been taking pictures with it for those two months and I noticed that from time to time the picture comes out all BLUE, I noticed that this happens if I leave the W/B on AUTO.
What is causing the pictures to come out BLUE?
Here are the samples:

Thank you for your help
spookymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2004, 7:03 PM   #2

What sort of lighting was in use for the Blue picture.

I ask as some lighting causes colour change.

Halogen causes a green, household lighting can cause a warmer orange affect, trying to thnk what causes blue.

Could be unrelated to lighting as well............
Gordon. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 1:42 AM   #3

It was a regular light, like a work bench, plus the daylight. Nothing odd, I thought of that as well. Could any of the settings on the camera do it?
Old Mar 21, 2004, 8:59 AM   #4

I have found that the auto white balance is only useful when using flash. If you do not need or want to use flash then it is best to set the white balance for the lighting conditions you will be shooting in.
MIDACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 7:16 PM   #5

MIDACL, I'm not familiar with your exact camera but I have a Olympus C4000 and I'd bet there are some similarities. Purely by chance tonight I was playing around with settings for white balance and taking some pictures around the house just to see what each did. I took a picture, with flash,and it turned out blue just like your sample, and I remembered reading your question here. It was a white balance setting that caused this. In white balance preset settings on my camera there are 6 choices. The icons are sun,clouds, a little thing that looks like a sun with a square on top of it and several others. The one with the little square on top of the sun (great description ,huh?) is for shooting in tungsten light according to my manual. This is the setting that gives me the blue output when using the flash, that I think your were experiencing also. If you have a manual, look under white balance and I think you'll find it........Dave
Davcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 12:45 PM   #6

I have the same camera and if your white balance is set to auto sometimes certain light conditions can trick it and it will come out blue.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 3:56 PM   #7
Default Blue

the answer is simple:

With your camera set to auto white balance, the white balance adjusted to the warm colour temperature of the ambient light, most likely from tungsten lamps, when you pressed the shutter half way. The camera could not anticipate the relatively blue light of the flash.

When you use the flash, the white balance needs to be set to daylight.

Regards, Herbert
HerbertRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 9:06 AM   #8
Default Tungsten lighting + electronic flash may = blue photos!

Davcar and HerbertRD are both exactly right-- the problem is specifically that the camera's white balance was set for tungsten and you used flash. I don't know if you have ever taken photos on a film camera using tungsten (incandescent) lighting before, but substituting this for electronic flash gives a garish yellow cast to the pictures. Before electronic flash was available, a blue filter was added to the camera to counteract this effect.

What has happened here is that either you or the camera set the white balance for tungsten, and you used flash anyway. This filtered out more yellow than was necessary, resulting in an artificially blue tone to your picture. The color complement of blue is yellow.

Most of the time, the auto settings will correctly take care of this problem, but if you are always using electronic flash, then as HerbertRD suggested, you can ensure proper white balance by manually selecting daylight.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 10:17 PM   #9

I have been using the Olympus C2100UZ for three years under all lighting condition using auto white balance and have never had a problem with any bluing of the pictures. My C2100 has produced nothing but good photos. Lighting may be an issue I am sure, but perhaps there is a problem with the camera. If you find the cause let me know, as I am curious. Wish I could offer more.

KSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 1:29 AM   #10

thank you to everyone that replied, I now have tried taking photos by adjusting the WB & they seem to be coming out fine. It is correct that if I have the WB set to AUTO it will only come out good if I have the flash on.
Thank you again