Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 30, 2004, 2:47 PM   #1
Default Which to get: Nikon D70 vs Olympus C-8080 ?

I realize this may be highly dependent upon one's intended use, and that it's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, but.. I'm in a quandary as to whether to spring for the new Nikon D70, at $1300, or whether the Olympus C-8080 ($850 street) would be just as good as a general-purpose digicam. What are y'all's thoughts - anyone have any comparative experiences with these two cameras?

I only have 'some' photography experience. I realize the Olympus is not an SLR, but the reviews seem to indicate it's plenty quick to powerup and recycle and that the picture quality is top notch. The menu system looks way-cool, and the 5x zoom, video, histogram, etc. sounds like a winner.
But, if the Nikon D70 would be a substantial improvement in quality results, or the ability to quickly nab a photo-opportunity, I can spend the extra if it's worth it. My last camera was a Nikon Coolpix 990, which I loved.

I'm not a photography professional, but I love to collect good photos from travels, special events, of fascinating architecture and of nature and animals, and portraits of beautiful women. Night shots are important, as is portability (I assume for THAT I'll need a 2nd, micro-tiny model). For someone who's not a full-time prof photographer making a living at it, is a Nikon D70 overkill?

All advice is appreciated - thanx.

JamesHurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2004, 1:12 PM   #2

There are some key differences between a digicam and a dslr. With a dslr you have much less shutter delay, better auto-focus, lower noise and thus more usable ISO settings, many more lens options, and a much better viewfinder. On the other hand a dslr can also be a money pit, be much bulkier, heavier, and less likely to be with you when a photo opportunity presents itself.

On the other hand I shouldn't pretend to know...
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote