Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 12, 2004, 9:15 PM   #1
Default smart media card is not working properly

I am having problems with my smart media card. I have an Olympus 3030 and the camera is not recognizing any smart media card I use. I bought a brand new smart media card and I am unable to format the card. The camera just started not to work correctly. Since the Olympus 3030 is not made any more, is it better to buy a new camera.
pompeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2004, 12:43 AM   #2
Default Smartmedia format problems...

Smartmedia cards should only be formatted in the camera. If you have written to the card in a card reader, you may have damaged the format of the card. The camera doesn't provide a full format, but rather does a "quick" format on the card. For that reason, you can't "fix" the card using the camera's format function.

Don't worry, though, the card can be reformatted using a utility called SMPREP that comes with Dazzle and Zio! brand card readers.
Is it possible that you wrote to the card in a card reader?

There's many posts in the card reader forum that may be helpful on this topic; just search for the Topic of this post in that forum and you should find the help you need.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 11:35 PM   #3
Default C-3000 card not reading also!

I started having the same problem. I have an C-3000 camera that's a few years old now and every time I start up the camera it gives a long beep and the card icon along with the (F) format icon blinks. I had to start up several times removing and re-inserting card before I could get into a state to take pictures once again. I believe the surfaces in the camera may be dirty preventing good contact to the smartmedia card. I have not heard of any methods or devices for cleaning that surface. If there's any I'm willing to hear.
djac8272 is offline   Reply With Quote