Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old May 15, 2004, 1:19 PM   #1

Hi, I have just received my Olympus C60, noticing that it is supposed to support USB 2.0 at full data rate (according to the Olympus website) I connected it to mynew USB 2.0 cardhoping to be able to transfer my images at super fast rates. Unfortunatly it seems to only transfer images at usb 1 rates, ie about 6 minutes for 100meg. Does anyone know if this camera is supposed to support USB 2 data rates.

Many Thanks
martin3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2004, 11:09 AM   #2

Recently I tested my new 6 in 1 USB2 Card Reader from SanDisk and found one interesting thing I missed before the purchase.

My settings for the test:

SanDisk SmartMedia Card 128 MB.
Pentium II - 450MHz.
OLYMPUS USB-1 Card Reader.
SanDisk USB-2 Card Reader.

The information for the reference I received from SanDisk:

> > SmartMedia card speed:
> > Read: 3.5MB/sec
> > Write: 500KB-1MB/sec (variable)
> > USB 1.1 ports have a shared bandwidth of 1.5 MB/sec.
> > USB 2.2 ports have a shared bandwidth of 60 MB/sec.

My thoughts and the results:

USB 1.1 port is limited by 1.5MB/sec bandwidth, but Read operation for SmartMedia card can be performed at 3.5MB/sec. The bottleneck here is a USB 1.1 port. By using USB 2.0 card we are shifting our bottleneck to SmartMedia card itself, and can perform Read operation with the max SmartMedia card speed 3.5MB/sec. It is 3.5/1.5 = 2.33 times faster.

> OLYMPUS Card Reader on original USB-1 port:
> Read = 2.30 / Write = 4.38;
> ==============================================
> SanDisk 6 in 1 Card Reader plugged into new PCI based USB-2 port:
> Read = 0.59 / Write = 4.23;
> ==============================================

The read operation from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0 improved by 2.30/0.59 = 2.3 times.

Look like 2.3x is the max improvement we can get for the SmartMedia card by changing USB 1.1 to USB 2.0 (for Read operation).

For the write operation the bottleneck is SmartMedia card itself for both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0.

Look like we should not expect any improvement for the Write operation by switching from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0.

My conclusion:

USB-2 interface is 40 times faster, than USB-1, but do not expect such improvement by switching from USB-1 based Card Reader to USB-2 based Card Reader. The limitation is Flash Card itself.

The fastest Flash Card on the market has up to 7MB/sec transfer rate. It is far from USB-2 60MB/sec!!!

Thank you,

akouzmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 3:02 PM   #3

Whilst I understand that full USB 2.0 speed would not be possible, I have found that the transfer times are exactly the same if I use either the USB 2.0 or USB 1.0 port, The Olympus manual does not mention USB 2.0 at all but the text on the box and the Olympus website both say that USB 2.0 full speed is supported.
martin3333 is offline   Reply With Quote