Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 11, 2002, 1:38 AM   #1
Default D-40 S40 G2 Hmmmmm??? Yea D-40

I researched D-40, S40, G2. All 4 megapixels.
I tried out the D-40 for a few days. I took lots of pictures in and outdoors. I noticed a major improvement over pics taken from my previous 3 megapixel Cannon G1.
The chrom-Abs is not apparent unless you zoom in with computer software. I want to purchase a D-40 for the following reasons: 1) It's not only one of the smallest, but it is one of the lightest. 2) The AA lithiums or NimH are less expensive than Cam Manufactured battery packs. 3) I like the sliding lense cover-no more G1 cap fiddling. On the con side: I did notice some D-40 lense distortion in full wide angle. I didn't experiment much and I'm no optical eng. I just noticed when shooting subject that when I put her head in the top of the frame while placing her feet in the bottom of the frame, the outcome appeared as if her legs were shorter and her waste-to-shoulder was longer than usual.
It's no big deal. I'll just have to remember to stand back and use the zoom for a better proportionality.
If your like me, you just want something to record those awesome trips. A camera that can be put in a pocket or pack. Don't want to be compelled to by lense/adaptors/microdrives>$1K. At this time I'm leaning tward the D-40 with S40 as a close second. Can you give me some input?
Captain Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2002, 10:30 PM   #2
Default A biased opinion

I may be a little biased but I think you made a good choice.

ksmusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2002, 10:26 PM   #3
Default Captain Photon ...

The D-40 is wonderful, and your thinking is right on target. I keep mine with me always, it's a little gem fer sure.

Willa is offline   Reply With Quote