Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 14, 2004, 9:52 PM   #1

Sorry if this question has been posted before, but this is my first post in here.

I'd really like to purchase an additional lens for my C-730. I don't want to get too crazy, but I'd love something that would give me about double the Optical zoom that I have now. (10X) or maybe slightly better.

Any advice on what I might need before I go shopping for it would be great. I'm always so worried about being ripped off.

Sabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2004, 8:47 PM   #2

Check out www.2filter.com They feature many add-ons for the C-700 series - I have good buying experience from them. I have a wide angle for my C-765, which I carried over from my C-730 (which I sold). Be advised that you will have mixed results with any add-on lens with a point and shoot. No matter how many lenses you add, it won't perform like an SLR. :-)
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 7:00 AM   #3

I also have a C-730 and have enjoyed very good results with an Olympus B-300 (1.4x) attached. The B-300 is the predecessor to the TCON-14. While the TCON does not meet your 2x requirement, ithas an excellent reputation with absolutely minimal light loss and very good edge-to-edge sharpness. Raynox lenses also enjoy a good rep.

In addition to 2filter.com that fporch referenced (a very good starting point), check out Pemaraal on line (http://www.b-300.com/). They have some sample pictures. I purchased both of my lenses (B-300 and WCON-07) from them and found them to be exceptionally reliable.

Regardless of what lens you decide on, you will need to purchase an adaptor tube, if you don't have one already. The Olympus CLA-4 has a 55mm thread which matches the Olympus brand lenses. 2filter.com has other tubes available but I would not consider anything less than 52 mm for fear of vignetting or other problems. I don't know of any adaptors larger than 55 mm. If you end up with a lens larger than 55, you will need a step-up ring adaptor. I keep the lens adaptor tube on my C-730 all the time along with a UV filter - good lens protection (or "lens armor" as some call it.)

Have fun shopping!

Paul in NoVA

C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 12:57 AM   #4

Check out the Raynox lenses. Raynox has a page which shows various lenses on the C-730/700 with sample pictures (click on the particular lens you're interested in):

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote