Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 1, 2004, 1:31 AM   #1

I currently have the Oympus D-520 Zoom and LOVE IT. It takes great pictures and is so small and lightweight. My only gripes about it are:

1. not enough zoom for me (I like to get real close up)
2. It can take a good 12 seconds in between shots if using the flash!! At least, I assume it is the flash and not just the camera itself. Outdoor sunlight pictures are much quicker between shots.

My husband is buying me a new camera for my birthday and I don't know which to get. I really want a camera with a bigger zoom and have only seen the 10x zoom cameras. There doesn't seem to be anything in between the 3x (which my current camera has) and the 10x.

If I do go for the 10x - should I get the Kodak easyshare or the Olympus 740 or 750?

I have never used manual settings. I always just point and shoot! I, unfortunately, haven't even used my settings yet (night, portrait, etc...) - which I really should.

I take a lot of landscape pictures and "people" pictures. So, what do you fine camera experts recommend I choose??

I've heard a lot of complaints about the shutter lag on the Olympus but I have always been a big fan of Olympus so I'm torn.

I appreciate any insights you care to give me.

Many thanks!
Lovesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2004, 11:33 AM   #2

One camera you might to consider is a Minolta 7HI.

IT has a good flash, 7x manual zoom and uses AA batteries.

It is a five megapixel camera that is a prosumer model.

It uses compact flash memory so if you ever upgrade to a newer DSLR, then your memory can "travel".

Very compact for prosumer camera.

It does shoot RAW images.

It does not have Image Stabilization.

Itried one for a short time before I picked my E20. The 7HI does take outstanding photos with none of purple fring reported from other, newer cameras.

You can find them on Ebay readily. I would suggest if you go this route to be sure and pick up one with an extended warranty (Minolta or Mack).

Good luck

Read more about the Minolta 7HIhere:

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 3:53 PM   #3

I have been using a c5050 for over a year. The reason I purchased it was because of 3 people that I know who have Olympus cameras that they love. I saw the work done on their cameras and decided on an Olympus also. Each person had a different model so it wasn't just a particular model.

I have not been the least bit disappointed with that choice.

Since you already have Olympus and are happy, I would suggest that you find a model that meets your needs and stay with the Olympus.

rosejame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 5:27 PM   #4

I've had great resultswith the Olympus C serie - I'm on my third model (765). Most fixed lens cameras have shutter and flash lag, but certainly not 12 seconds for the C-series! I thinkthe C-series is a lot camera, however, if you're not interested in using the manual settings. I believe Panosonic has a 12X zoom out that is all automatic if my memory serves my correctly, check on Steve's site.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote