Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 6, 2004, 6:38 PM   #11

Thanks for the info. Your pictures are great I might add. Mabey I was just expecting to much out of my camera cause my pics I took look almost as good as yours. But to me they are just not spectacular enough for me. And I filled 2, 256mb cards.All pics were takin in SHQ mode. Fully manual, f/8, ISO 100 AND SOME AT 50, and shutter speeds from 16 to 1/4. I kept 15 pictures. Now thats a total waste of my time. 4 hours, 250 pics and got 15 good ones. But I wont give up even if I have to buy another camera dedicated to just fireworks.

And I am in no way putting down this camera. I love it for landscape and sky shots. Portrait photos and absolutly the micro. But Olympus needs to get off there a_ _! and fix this low light problem.

Thanks again everyone.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 11:35 PM   #12

It may depend on what type of fireworks show you went to. The one I went to was short, about 20 minutes, but continuous. I got about 100 pics and kept all but the mis-timed ones. For good shots, you must have a tripod and use the remote to minimize motion during the long exposure. All of mine were shot at ISO 50 and between 2to 3 seconds at medium aperture. I'm not sure what low light problem you're referring to, which other digicams in the same class don't suffer from as well.

KuoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 4:32 PM   #13

[align=center]Taking great fireworks photos[/align]

Everybody loves fireworks. But they are hard to photograph. Even with the bright colorful light, the darkness of night presents a few challenges. With some planning and the right gear, you can have photos worth bragging about.

What you'll need…
  • A tripod.
  • To photograph fireworks, the camera's shutter has to be open for one second or longer. That means the camera can't move at all or else the picture will be out of focus. A tripod keeps the camera perfectly still. [/*]
  • A digital camera that has long shutter speeds. Shutter speed controls how long light is allowed into the camera. It is also known as "exposure." The best fireworks pictures have an exposure time between 2 and10 seconds. If your camera doesn't do that, try using the the nightscene mode.[/*]
  • A digital camera with a self-timer. This isn't mandatory, but it sure helps. Using the self-timer to activate the shutter release means that you won't accidentally shake the camera as you press down on the shutter.
Taking a good picture…
These tips can make a night of fireworks photography much more enjoyable:
  • Low ISO is the way to go. The biggest enemy of fireworks photos is something called noise. It looks like tiny white or multi-colored dots when you print the picture. The longer the exposure, the more noise. If your camera lets you, pick the lowest ISO possible. [/*]
  • Choose the right aperture. Aperture — also called F-stop — makes or breaks a photo. It decides how much light is let into the camera. If it's too big (such as F-2.8) all the light streaks turn white. If it's too small (F-8) the fireworks are hard to see. Use the camera's LCD screen as a guide. You might need a different F-stop at the beginning, middle or at the end of the fireworks show. [/*]
  • Be mobile. Fireworks shows look different from every angle. Try to predict where the best photos will come from. Take pictures from there. When you think you've got the pictures you want, move to a new location. [/*]
  • Bring spare batteries. Taking pictures of fireworks uses a lot of special features that gobble up batteries fast. Make sure you have an extra set of batteries so you can keep taking pictures. [/*]
  • Use long exposure noise reduction. If your digital camera has a noise reduction feature, use it! But be careful. It doubles your camera's exposure time. In other words, if you shoot a 10 second picture, you can't take photo for at least 10 more seconds.
Choose Your Vantage Point

As when shooting sunsets and other panoramic views, it's often a good idea to include interesting, recognizable objects in your photo. A well-lit building or monument under a cascading burst of fireworks can send your picture far above the competition.

When shooting fireworks, rarely go to the main center of attraction - you know, the place where they charge you admission and perhaps even sell concessions.

Instead scout out the area ahead of time and select a more distant vantage point, one that gives me a good view of the festivities.

If you are using an auto-focus camera, set the focusmanually

on infinity, if possible. See your camera manual. If you can't

set the focus manually, take a test shot of the fireworks and

then check the focus indicator to determine whether your

camera is focusing properly on infinity. Infinity is indicated

by a figure eight on its side
¥or by a distant-scene symbol,

such as a mountain .
Olympus Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 4:33 PM   #14

Oh yea this is right from olympus.
Olympus Guy is offline   Reply With Quote