Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 9, 2004, 4:37 PM   #1

Heya, im new here; sorry if this is obvious or has already been discussed!

I own an olympus Camedia D-390 and use an xd picture card (16mb) recently I tried to take a picture but when I slid back the cover it comes up with the error message "Write Protect" I have looked in the manual and all it says it that my cameras write protect feature has been enabled by a pc; connect it to a pc and turn this off. Just one problem....How???

I have trid connecting it tothe pc and changing the attributes of the folders;but everytime I take off the "read only setting" it just reverts back to it.

Help!!!
Burkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2004, 5:09 PM   #2

UHHHH OHHHHHHH

Ok basicly there is nothing you can do. You have to send the card into olympus. Iv seen this alot.

You are on xp i know this. Only time i have seen this happen is on xp.And 2nd i bet you dont use Camedia to download picuters. You use windows xp camera and scanner wizard. And if you have a dell iv seen there software put files on cards that makes it wright protected.

Olympus Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 2:23 PM   #3

dam dam dam dam

Thats sucks so much; the only reason I wasn't using camedia is because I lost the cd key. O dear; well thanks for the help
Burkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 7:39 PM   #4

Olympus Guy wrote:
Quote:
UHHHH OHHHHHHH

Ok basicly there is nothing you can do. You have to send the card into olympus. Iv seen this alot.

You are on xp i know this. Only time i have seen this happen is on xp.And 2nd i bet you dont use Camedia to download picuters. You use windows xp camera and scanner wizard. And if you have a dell iv seen there software put files on cards that makes it wright protected.

I don't use the camedia software to download pics from the camera, neither do I use Xp's picture and scanner wizard. I simply plug my cam to the usb port and xp detects it as a USB mass storage device. I then copy the pics from the removable device displayed on My Computer window. Would you say that this method is not safe?
staracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 11:27 AM   #5

I'V FOUND A FIX FOR THIS!!!!

put the camera into play back mode. This is where you can see your picuters on the camera. Then go into the menu and try to go to card setup. This is 3rd tab. So hit ok hit right for mode menu. then hit down to you see card setup. Then hit right arrow 2 times and you will see formatt. Then go to yes and it will say caution somthing. and hit ok

Now if you have picuters on the card this will delete them so if you care about them you might want to think about data recovery. But if not try this and let me know.

"""I don't use the camedia software to download pics from the camera, neither do I use Xp's picture and scanner wizard. I simply plug my cam to the usb port and xp detects it as a USB mass storage device. I then copy the pics from the removable device displayed on My Computer window. Would you say that this method is not safe?""""

This is best way to do it i think. If you dont want to go into Cameida. The xp scanner camera wizard works good most time i dont know why it messes up some camera cards and its really random. One thing i would say. Formatt the card everytime you download your picuters. Not in the computer by right clicking on the driver, NEVER DO THIS!! will blow your card basicly. Do not delete pictuers from you computer with camera pluged it. Basicly most cameras us a diffrent file system the your computer. So that can start to mess things up. Just put the card into camera and do a formatt.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 11:30 AM   #6

Oh yea about you serial number for Camedia software. If you call tech support they will give you free serial number, this number will not allow you to upgrade for 20 bucks to the pro. Wich is usless. So, if you give me e-mail ill send you a serial number that is not illegal.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 10:39 AM   #7

Thanks Olympus Guy, It worked!!
Batko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 9:49 AM   #8

[align=left]try "pcinspector file recovery" (freeware). i have an olympus d-395 with a fujifilm 128mb xd-picturecard. the camera suddenly stopped taking photos, showed "no picture on the monitor" and "write protect" when i tried to take pictures. camedia master could find no pictures to download from the camera to the computer.

olympus technical gave me 6 programs of which i picked pcinspector and it worked a treat. i was able to recover all 31 photos from the root directory of the picturecard onto the computer.
[/align]
tappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 1:07 PM   #9

hey i need a serial number asap? can u help please:-)
xxnicole033xx is offline   Reply With Quote