Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 3, 2004, 5:04 AM   #1

I know some settings/features will differ across product lines (Wide Zooms, Ultra Zooms and Compact) so just state which camera you use and which of the settings are your most favourite for getting best results and any customizations you might have made!

I have the c750uz and for the majority of my shots I use "Program Mode" with the EV set to -0.3 and the histogram feature enabled. I also use a 52mm barrel converter normally with a UV Filteror a Polarizer for shots of sky or water.For difficult shots or just plain experimenting I switch to "Manual" and start messing around with everything!

redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2004, 8:51 AM   #2

Aperture priority, even when photographing motor racing. For me by far the easiest way to use a camera, controlling the depth of field. F2.8 for portraits, F11 or so for most shots, using small apertures to control overbrightness. I have two cameras, Oly 5060 and Nikon D70, both used in the same fashion. Filters? ALWAYS a U/V on EVERY lens, and polarisers too
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 4:26 PM   #3

I noticed with 8080 that the aperture is set to a really low setting in S mode. It's difficult to focus fast and remain in the sharp range of the depth of field. I agree with cameraserai - use aperture priority and keep an eye on the shutter speeds for faster moving subjects. I keep the camera on ISO 50 if possible to minimize the noise. HQ gives you over 200 images with an affordable 512MB CF card. Go for SHQ if you really need it. Nothing wrong with Program Mode. It's not about the "pride" :-) - it's about getting good pictures you will enjoy. Also, since you are using digital now - shoot lot's of pictures and delete them later. More chances of getting a good shot you want to keep.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S. I have always used U/V on all my Minolta 7xi lenses and definitely need to pick one up for the 8080. Protect the lens !
uvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 4:49 AM   #4

I gotta admit that I never thought of using Aperture Priority as the default shooting option before, if I came across a shot that Program wouldn't do well with I tended to go straight for Full Manual.

It's an interesting idea though I will definately give Aperture priority a try!
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 12:25 PM   #5

I use aperture priority approx 70% of the time on my C5050, the rest is program mode. ISO is set 64, except whenI want to avoid using flash indoors. Other settings:

Sharpness: -2

Contrast: -1

Saturation: 0
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 3:30 AM   #6

I have a C750, and for me its been simple...

Apature priority setting when I want tocontrol the depth of focus. I've increased the F-stop to capture a bird in a tree that had branches at all distances around it, and the camera couldn't focus exactly on the bird. I've decreased it to give a dramatic, blurred backgroud to a portait like subject.

Shutter priority to freeze or blur action. This can be fun to play with, it's easy to increase the speed and capture a sports shot in mid-motion, or decrease it to get a cool blurred effect, such as blurred water flowing over a waterfall. You'll obviously need a tripod for most slow shutter speeds.

NOTE: When you're using a priority mode, check your ISO setting. If it is set to a specific ISO setting, then your camera has no adjustments to make and your pic will probably be exposed wrong. Set it to AUTO, or set it to the proper ISO level by taking test shots and making adjustments. For some unfortunate reason, I've found anything above ISO200 to be unacceptable.

Manual mode only for very specific situations where the exposure settings contradict eachother. I've used this for photographing hummingbirds, where I wanted a very fast shutter (to at leastattemptfreezing the wings) as well as ahigh F-stop (to increase the depth of focus, because the camera has a hard time focusing on a tiny hummingbird). Note that you'll only want to use this in special circumstanses that often requiring extra lighting (external flash for my hummingbird example)...Use it almost never, unless you know what you are doing and have a unique setting. Many test shots (and adjustments) will be required.

EVERY other situation has been taken in AUTO (or Program) for me, and I would suggest that for everyday snapshots, DON'T get creative, use AUTO and guarantee a decent shot. Also, a mono-pod or tripod has been my best friend with this camera for 2 reasons: 1, its 10x zoom obviously needs a very stable platform to avoid blur, and 2, it performs poorlyin low light conditions, and a stable platform allows for a slower shutter speed, again to avoid blur.

The biggest thing to know about this camera when shooting beyond AUTO mode is that each setting affects exposure, and understanding how each setting affects exposure will teach you how to use each setting properly.

Have fun!

tjk3052 is offline   Reply With Quote