Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 3, 2004, 8:59 PM   #1

I have a C-50 5 megapixel point and shoot. The flash died while I was in Europe in May. When I got back, I tried to get it repaired locally but was told that parts and service information were not available and so I was forced to use Olympus service in Long Island.

I called the 800 number and they said just ship it and it will take a week to 10 days. So I overnight the camera to them on May 26. Two weeks later I get a letter by snail mail demanding prepayment of a flat $150 fee for repair. Oh well, I get on the net as instructed and authorize the payment via credit card. Still more time goes by and further calls tell me "it is being expedited." I finally get it back, via snail mail,and the flash tube flashes again butall flash photos are severly underexposed. Obviously some jerk failed to synch the flash with the shutter. So, another trip to FedEx and overnight the camera to them again. Wait wait wait and finally I get the camera back, again via snail mail. Slow, slow, slow.

When did I get it back working? July 27, two MONTHS after sending it to them. They didn't even have the decency to expedite return after screwing up the repair the first time. Shipping and repairs cost me over $200 on a camera that failed in its 15th month of ownership.

This is probably the last Olympus I will ever buy and I certainly will not buy another camera that cannot be repaired locally. These factory service centers suck!

nachtfalke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2004, 2:44 AM   #2

Most of the time we hear nothing but good things about Olympus America's repairs...must have to do with the best techs being on holiday.

To be candid, this can happen with any camera manufacturer, and it has. Try going into every other manufacturer's forum here, and you will hear horror stories worse than yours.

Personally I wouldn't let your story dissuade me from buying another Olympus because it's a good camera, and I have my eye on an E-1.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote