Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 19, 2004, 1:57 PM   #1

My wife has broken a second D-490z and I'd like to move up to a Minolta a1. Any reason I should not buy her one of the c-720s going on ebay right now of $100.00. All we'll do with it is take shots of the kids. 3 mp seems fine for max 8x10 enlargements. I like the idea of the 8x zoom because it seems that if you get close enough to kids to get a good candid shot they react to the camera and ruin the shot. Also, I still have a couple smart media cards from the 490 that I'd like to not just throw away. Anybody disagree with my reasoning or aware of any problems with the 720?

brussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2004, 7:05 PM   #2

Most C-7xx users will tell you to avoid the 720 (and 725). These cameras do not have manual focus, something that's necessary in low light conditions as none of the C-7xx cameras have a focus assist beam. Also if you ever wanted to use an external flash with this camera you could only use a slave. Last thing about this camera, it's a "stripped down version" of better C-7xx's...besides the missing features above it only has 8x zoom rather than the 10x that the C-7xx series is famous for.

If you can live with that, than $100 is a good price (provided the camera is in good condition). Personally, when I went shopping the 720 was the current model, but instead I opted for the lower (2mp) C-700 for it's additional features, and I still use that camera today (2 years later).

- Check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group, discussions, fun shooting challenges for ALL C-7xx users, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 2:54 AM   #3

All the 720 images I've seen look a bit shabby compared with a 750 IMHO.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote