Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 20, 2004, 4:46 PM   #1

:OCan anyone recommend a good digital photography/ebook specific to theOlympus 8080. I like the camera but find the menu somewhat difficult to use and learn. The manual lists all the features but does not do much to help you or walk you through using them. I need the DP book because I am also still learning about more advanced digital photograpy features.

** On a seperate note, does anyone know if there will be a firmware update to improve the ease of use of the menu on this camera?

GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2004, 5:39 PM   #2

The reality is, the manuals that come with the camera are like the manuals that come with a new car...it teaches you what the controls do, but doesn't teach you how to drive. You have to start with the basics:

As for the menu system, I doubt they would make it any easier (even if they could)...it's the same easy menu system used on almost every other Olympus camera, just use the four directional keys and the OK button; maybe it's the number of options that's overwhelming, and remember where they all are.

You didn't say how long you've owned your 8080, but it took me about a month with my C-series camera to remember where things are when I needed them in a hurry...the method I use to remember is what main heading is the feature I want to change in...does it has to do with before the CAMERA takes a picture, does it have to do with what is done to the PICture after it's taken, does it have to do with the CARD, or with SETup of the camera (the guy with the wrench).

Steve in his review of the 8080 has posted a "map" of each menu selection:
Record Menus
Playback Menus

To get help strictly with the 8080, you might want to join an online 8080 group:

One of the best things you can do is continually practice with your camera, play with the settings to find out what they do and how to quickly access them.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 1:16 PM   #3

Thanks this was helpfull. You nailed it. I need help learning to drive, I've been using a point and shoot for the last couple of years. And yes, it is remembering where everything is, Preset 1 and Present 1 for instance with WP does not work for me. I'd prefer a more intuitive description rather than my having to remember what I programed. I think with this camera I will really need to use the my mode setup a lot.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 1:26 PM   #4

You could also try this Forum. It is exellent.

Feb29 is offline   Reply With Quote