Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 21, 2004, 9:11 PM   #1

I recenty bought a c-4000 zoom, it's my first digi camera, and I am still trying to learn about it - and photograghy!

Up until now, I have been taking pictures of small silver coloured objects on a jet black background using natural light, getting great results, in automaic modes (without using/changing any settings).

Then in the last couple of days I noticed something had changed with my pictures. The silver objects seemed over exposed, (even if I darkened the room)I know it must be something to do with the black background (ie the camera 'sees' lots of black so compensates the explosure?), the picture is fine If I lighten the background colour.

I'm baffled, so finally sat down with the user manual to try to work out what has happened. The good thing is I'm finally learning what this camera can do!

I can't work out what could of changed. The only thing I have noticed which 'might' be related is that the Multi metering function does not work. When I'm in the mode menu , shooting, and move down to multi met option , I am unable to choose this option, it just skips over it, so I am unable to set it to on or off.

Can Anyone shed some light?? I would be most grateful.

Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2004, 10:17 PM   #2

The advanced controls is covered in the reference manual that's on the CD that came with the camera (many people don't know about the reference manual; that's the only reason why I mention it).

The reason the multi-metering feature is disabled is you have to have other features turned on to access it.

First, you have to be in P, A, or S modes.

Second, turn on spot metering.

NOW you can turn on the multi-metering.

Then you can press the AEL to lock in various samples of the picture you want to take.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote