Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 16, 2004, 8:11 AM   #1

I am bidding on a refurbished C5060 on ebay, Olympus states it will function the same as a new camera. Comes with 90 day warranty from them. New, they are going for 470.00 on line, my bid at 300. currently. Considering the history of firmware problems when they initially came out, do you think this is a safe bet?? It sounds as if Olympus has resolved this problem when new cameras were sent back and that they functioned fine after the repair. Any "techie" types out there want to explain the chances of me having this firmware problem on a refurbished camera?? Or, is it likely that the camera has been refurbished because of this problem and should function fine?? What are the odds of this problem "repeating" itself after being repaired?? I bid on this after reading about the firmware problem. And, if anyone can comment on the trustworthiness of the ebay bidding process, I would appreciate it! I am new to ebay. thanks!
lindalu62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2004, 10:01 AM   #2

I don't think you will have a problem with your current bid as they have been seeling around $400 +
I am also interested in this camera. I contacted Olympus service tech and he states he can find no apperent reason for so many refurbs being available.
mrgooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 1:23 PM   #3

If it's been refurbished by Olympus, it has been thoroughly check, and odds are it had the firmware upgraded to the current version.

Also, if you are worried (and you live in North America) you could get the C-Series 2-year extended warranty (which has to be purchased BEFORE the 90 day warranty expires). Last time I checked it was going for $50USD and it included a free checkup and cleaning (it can also be bought on Ebay for cheaper).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote