Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 29, 2004, 1:31 AM   #1

Hi to you all, if anyone PLEASE has any tips on how to set this camera up for clear, crisp and bright interior images I will be very grateful. I am kind of a novice but am getting some lovely outdoor shots but failing miserably with indoors. Have tried a few settings but just not knowledgeable enough to know the correct one. If anyone has any experience with this could they let me know. I use a tripod and the in camera flash, I take architecture shots so not expecting the flash to go far, just an average room. Thanks in advance! Avi
SydneyIsHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2004, 4:43 AM   #2

What's an average room, 20feet, 30feet, 40feet? The working distance for most internal flashes are 5-15feet. Also, at the longer ranges there's more flash fall off which is shown at The range for the 5060 internal flash is 13feet max at wide, and 8feet max at telefoto.

If you look how the interior design magazines do architecture shots, they will either flood the room with light, or use strobes which are those large flashes on light stands.

Another way is to use an external flash with more power (like the FL-40 or FL-50) and point it at the ceiling to give a general wash over everything.

A third way is to learn how to use manual settings to let in more light, but this will require using a tripod and possbily the remote that came with the camera as slower shutter speeds will be more succeptable to blurring from hand shake. Here's an example where available light was used with a longer exposure, but as it was bright outside the windows were "blown out" lightwise compared to the surrounding room,

Personally I have taken a lot of indoor shots inside a large building (actually, the camera club I attend which is 150 seat theatre) and I've used all of the above techniques depending on the effect I want:
Available light with no flash on tripod with longer shutter speed:
Using a slave flash (a wireless flash positioned some distance away from the camera, but triggered by the camera's internal flash):

If you need magazine/brochure quality shots, you may want to hire a professional photographer if you don't have the time to put in learning all this as it does take time and practice.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 12:11 AM   #3

Thanks Mike for the time and trouble you took in responding. I am off now to study what you wrote and look at the links. Thanks again and best wishes, Avril
SydneyIsHome is offline   Reply With Quote