Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 19, 2004, 1:41 PM   #1

I hope I did this right. Here are some of the pix I was trying to describe in previous posts. I just cant rely on the 8080 to produce quality focused pix. I love photography and have never had this kind of longterm problem. I've contemplated, more than once, selling this camera and going back to my 5050.

If anyone sees something I dont please share. I really want to make this camera work.
The settings for these few pix were...
from Stan's previous post to me.

Aperture priority
EV -3
ISO 64
AF mode spot
Metering mode MultiSpot
WB auto
Contrast +1
Sharpness +2
Hue 0
Saturation +1

rittlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2004, 8:04 PM   #2

What was the aperature and speed set at?
Keyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 12:06 PM   #3

Kind of hard to tell since even the largest file size (original) isn't large enough to see close detail. You used flash on the last pic; was ambient light really poor? Were you using AF illuminator? 2nd pic also looks fuzzy, perhaps the AF was confused by the reflection off the wet pavers? Re: the others - what was the aperture? 2.4 translates into a very thin depth of field - e.g. lips might be in focus and earlobes might appear soft. The pavers in the upper left of the 3rd pic look pretty sharp to me; camera might have focused on edge of the dress material contrasted against the pavers. Was AF set to spot or IESP? Might simply have been a situation where the dress, background, wet pavers conspired to fool the AF. AF can balk at times on Oly's, due I think to a glitch in the contrast detection system. Try zooming out, then back in (or vice versa); almost always does the trick. I wouldn't return an otherwise great camera b/c the AF gets fooled once every couple of hundred pics.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 6:51 PM   #4

Since all of the pictures look like everyday "common" shots one might take why are you using custom settings?

Have you tried using the automatic settings? If using it you still have a problem then you might consider the next step. if not it might just be your choice of settings that's not working... (which case try not using spot focusing)
LeeBuhrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 5:25 PM   #5

I was having problems with the auto focus until I did a firware update. Seems fine, no problems now. It still takes forever sometime and once the focus locks you had better not move.
jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:18 PM   #6

Check this link .. they describe the same problem...

Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 1:40 PM   #7

I purchased this camera a few monthes ago to replace my E10.
I like it so for, it works great for portraits. My only complaint is that it does not offer optical viewfinder so you can manually focus by turning the lens and not pushing a button. There is a trick I have always done for focus. Set
the smallest opening and fastest shutter speed possible. I started this when I shot weddings. Often wedding shots are done in candel lit locations, so you must prefocus and wait for the shot. With an autofocus camera this is hard, they are not good in low light locations. Also kids do not lend themselves well to autofocus. My E10 could not shoot kids with autofucus, but my Minolta 800si did great. Kids are constantly moving, most can not hold still, thus the camera does not hold fine focus. What I do is find a stationary object about equal distance from the camera focus on it, and lock the focus, reframe and take the shot. The camera will snap the picture as soon as the button pressed, if the focus was locked.:-)
scottchitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 4:47 PM   #8

Flutter they did.
MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 5:33 AM   #9

i havent had any problems now that i have read the manual!!! focus problems maybe because your not reading the manual!

iso 200

1/200 shutter speed

super marco!
Symon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 9:19 PM   #10

Some people make a post and then flutter away..........never to be heard from again.
This person made the comment on OCTOBER 19th OF 2004, that was 3 months ago.
The comment was made either to downgrade the company or to vent some unnecessary steam.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote