Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 26, 2004, 2:13 PM   #1

Hello, I got my first digicam last week and after reading some of the great reviews I decided to go with the c-8080.
While lurking around some forums I read a thread that had to do with burnt pixels on the ccd. Basicly this guy took a long exposure picture with the lense cap on and looked for bad pixels.
Anyway I tryed it and sure enough I counted about 8.
I took the camera back and got another, guess what same thing.
I cant see anything in pictures, haven't tryed night shots yet, but it just bugs me.
Am I being too picky?
Is this normal?
Any responses are appreciated, thanks.
achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2004, 1:14 AM   #2

When you take a long exposure picture the CCD heats up, and that translates into hot pixels...it's a fact of life. There are a few ways to deal with it.

First is to use the noise reduction...this takes a "black" second picture at the same settings after the first picture you have taken...it then uses the noise seen in the black picture to subtract the noise in the picture you have taken.

Second is to try and map out the hot pixels; just like when you buy a hard drive, when you buy a camera the imperfect areas of the CCD are "mapped out". You can do this yourself by running pixel mapping. Several people have found dramatic improvements after doing this. First take a few 16 second exposures to warm up the CCD. Then run the pixel mapping (some people do it twice).

I remember one person who was totally upset with her "imperfect" CCD...she kept on trading cameras to try and get a better one, but as I tried to explain to her there's no such thing as a perfect CCD and that any "bad" pixels can be mapped out, just like they map out bad sectors on a hard drive...I won't say where she told me to go since she was ready to sue Olympus for putting out "imperfect" consumer cameras.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote