Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 6, 2004, 1:03 AM   #1

Hi everyone

I have been looking around for a while at trying to get a more significant "zoom" for my 5050. Currently I have a 2x teleconverter from Tiffen (though I get the feeling I maybe should have looked harder on this and went with Raynox) but the 2x is not enough for the outdoors photography that can present itself where I live.

The reviews I have read so far have warned me off a few possibilities but I wanted to try another approach to this question. What teleconverters are people currently using and what do you think of them? Has anyone found something over 2x that they have found they like? What do you like about the lens?

Looking forward to reading your responses and hoping to find out some things I do not know. For those wondering about the Tiffen lens I have noticed some slight darkening at the edges of the image and that the images are darker than without the lens. In a brief test of a Raynox 1.85 I did not notice either of these concerns.

RFenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2004, 2:54 AM   #2

Good quality teleconverters stop around 2x. You can get larger "scopes" but these are usually smaller diameters (like the lens size on the Coolpix 990)...with larger diameter lens cameras there's more potential for vignetting.

If you really need more tele, suggest you get an ultra-zoom (most of them have a tele of 380mm). Along with the large tele, you can also add the 2x teleconverter to the ultra zoom. Here's the Raynox 2.2x on the C-750 (giving you 830mm):

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote