Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 20, 2004, 12:52 AM   #1

From all I have read, you need an older camera such as the C-2020 or a modified C-2040 for Infrared photography. I just grabbed a 52mm Hoya R-72 filter when one went by for the right price on eBay, and have been watching the 2020 auctions.

It arrived, and I decided to pop it on my C-755 (Fry's version) when I was home for lunch today and it was light out, just to see how bad it would be. I was pleasantly suprised. I expected something totally unusable, but my neighbor's house was about a 1 second exposure. Not the greatest, but definately worth playing around with.

Here is my very first attempt. I did one touch white balance on a sheet of typing paper on the ground. Auto mode (hey, it wasn't supposed to work) ASA 100 F2.8 1/1.3 sec. I did not compensate for IR focus differences, but locked focus with the filter off.

I swapped the blue and red channels, increased the saturation, did a little sharpening, and diddled with brightness, contrast, gamma, etc for a while. Oh yeah, squished it down to 640 x whatever to put it here.

I know this image needs work, and I have a lot to learn yet, especially regarding post processing, but the point of this post is that you CAN play around with IR with this camera, even though I would have thought otherwise from what I have read.

Attached Images
segbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2005, 7:22 AM   #2

I would like to try infrared photography, sounds like fun. But I don't know where to start. I have a C750. What exactly do I need?
Astrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 9:42 PM   #3

Wow! That's pretty good. I've been thinking about buying an old 2mp camera for IR after reading up on the subject. I have a Panasonic FZ-20 and an Olympus C-765 now, so my wife might have something to say about that. But after seeing your picture, I think I'll get a filter and try some longer exposures on a tripod. I'm glad you shared your experience with us. I'm impressed

For Astrid,

Here's a good primer on digital IR photography by an Olympus user:

pggunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:07 PM   #4

I am no expert but there should be no red or blue in the picture. Can you please post the original? I have the same camera and I like get into IF as well.

Thank you
redhatbert is offline   Reply With Quote