Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 24, 2002, 10:15 AM   #1
Default Purple Fringing

Hi folks - I'm interested in buying a C-720 or a C-730 - like the long lens and the features. When I look at the sample photos in the review on this website for the 730, I don't really see purple fringing - although they say that this is a problem in the review. I can spot it in the C-720 shots, but not sure if this would effect many shots. Any opinions? Would also like to see sample shots from 730 owners.

chapman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2002, 11:31 AM   #2

I agree with you--didn't see much trouble in the C-730 shots (unlike the HP 850 shots, which showed a lot of fringing, mostly green!). I've looked at a lot of C-730 sample shots from different sources and haven't seen too much trouble, no more than I'd expect from other Olympus cameras.

I have noticed a lot of noise or graininess in the C-730 shots, which is holding me back right now. The noise is most noticeable in areas of flat colors, including fleshtones, especially in shadows. This will bother some people more than others. One thing that hasn't been pointed out anywhere that I've seen is that the highest quality JPEGs from the C-730 are much more compressed that those from the C-720. I've wondered if that contributes to this, but I suspect it doesn't, since I see the same amount of noise in the SHQ shots as the HQ ones. But I would like to see some C-730 TIFF files.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote