Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 8, 2002, 9:46 AM   #1
Default C730 Upgrade worth it?

I currently own a C3000Z. It has a 3x built in optical zoom. Overall it is a great camera with alot of features.
Is it worth it to upgrade to the C730UZ for the 10x optical zoom, or should i better stay with the 3000 and add the telephoto?
My main concern is of course the quality of the camera, the new technology, and the quality of pictures!

MrSocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2002, 11:12 AM   #2

It sounds if you are interested in larger zoom. If you plan is to use the 10X power or a telephot lens on the C3000, I would purchase the C730. Talking with the folks at www.2filter.com, the best telephoto for the C3000 thru the C4040 is going to be a 2x telephoto. This would leave you way short of the C730 10X capability. Also, the engerneering by Olympus on C730 will eliminate any barrel distortion at wide angle shots.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2002, 11:11 AM   #3

If you need the zoom, get it. The 2x adapters do degrade the image quality somewhat, to the point where the image you'd get from the C-730 at the same focal length would likely be superior. You do give up some image quality in the 1-3x zoom range common to both cameras, mostly in the form of increased noise. But there's no substitute for the zoom when you need it. Whether you do need it depends entirely on you. Check out sample shots from the review here (if you want more, I can post some links).
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote