Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 20, 2002, 12:32 AM   #1
Default Olympus D-550

Does anyone have an opinion about the new D-550? I am in the market and it reads well. Does anyone have any experience with it?
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2002, 1:13 AM   #2

We'll be posting a D-550 review in the next day or so. Watch the News page.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2002, 1:24 PM   #3
Default Olympus D-550 Review: (No Audio?)

Thanks for your excellent review of the D-550.

But, what a bummer that the D-550 DOES NOT HAVE SOUND! I was looking forward to that camera, but I think not having the audio option may be a deal breaker.

I have never owned a Digital camera, so I'm not sure whether the feature would be missed, but I can envision using it with the video option more times than not. I know that there is a conflict trying to use audio with the zoom feature on all cameras, but I thought it was just because of the noise generated by the zoom mechanism. Why would Olympus not include it?

If anyone has an opinion about audio and digital video clips, I would be interested in hearing their thoughts. It seems to me, audio would outweigh the inability to use the zoom.

Plan B is to look closer at the Canon D-30.

madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2002, 11:21 AM   #4

I think you are overrating the video option in a digital still camera. The sound you get taking moving pictures with a DSC (whatever brand and type it is) is always poor. If I were you I would not be bothered at all about the lack of sound in D-550's video mode. You really won't use the video option a lot, because the quality is just too low (the picture is very small and blurry). If you want to shoot video's, buy a digital video camera.
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2002, 9:28 AM   #5

I have to agree with nobody, many of my digicams have the A/V. The only clip I ever took was at the 4 corners MC rally, Got a nice clip of the "Hardly Angels" performing. This was done because I had my glasses off and did not relieze I was in that mode. I find that takeing stills and putting a mp3 sound track to a slide show is the way to get ohhs and ahhs from friends. But if important check out Olympus site, they have the C-2040Z for $315 there. Alot of digicam for that price.
Good luck on your purchase,
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote