Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 10, 2002, 4:03 AM   #1
Default c 2100 + artificial light

I recently had a problem that I couldnt solve because of time shortage.

I had to take pictures from a modern design furniture showroom. There was not daylight at all but a combinatioin of different artificial lights. I was struggling a lot in getting a result that could represent the real colors of the furniture surfaces. White lacquer finishes were the worst.

I tried to avoid flash but the result wasn't good, with flash I had to much reflection on the surfaces.

As I will have do to similar exercises again, soon, I'm wondering whether someone could give me some ideas on how to get best results.
hegisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2002, 5:18 AM   #2

Well, if you're doing this professionally you'd use a multi-light shoot, with a polarizer on the lens to get rid of any reflections from the counter-top. Also, you can always colour correct in a photo program later. See what others say.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 6:25 AM   #3

I agree with Mike, use a polarizer and it wil reduce the glare. Also try to avoid sever angles on the shot, ie 45 degrees. The less the angle the less the glare. I also move the object directly from under any artifical lights.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 2:34 PM   #4

Consider purchasing a flash that has a tilt head and can be moved off camera. If the ceiling's not too high, bounce flash provides nice lighting for this type of situation, and minimizes reflection from high luster surfaces. Otherwise, move the flash to a different angle and experiment.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote