Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:07 AM   #1

Have owned a C-2100UZ. Loved it. I liked the fairly quick shot-to-shot speed, and the 10x glass zoom. The camera was recently stolen.

What I want in a camera is a decent zoom lens, fast shot-to-shot speed, ability to add an external flash, and minimal shutter lag. I am not a professional photographer, I ama professional dad. Most of the pics will be of the family, and of our Girl Scout troop.

I am looking at the C8080, but also at possibly buying a used Minolta Dimage 7hi.

Any thoughts?

p.milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:35 AM   #2

Actually, I probably should be considering the C8080 Olympus and the Minolta Dimage A200 - which is the current model.

Any ideas between these two models?

p.milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:45 PM   #3

The 8080 has a much better lens; the A200 has image-stabilization, which is nice and will help w/ interior photography. I love my 8080 and survive w/o IS.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 2:18 PM   #4

What happened? - it's almost a crime to break a camera as legendary as the UZI!

As a former UZI owner you'll not be very happy with the C-8080. The C-8080 will feel heavy, focus lock will feel slow, and the OIS will be sorely missed. That said, if you're willing to put up with that and change your habits quite a bit, it'll take the best pics you'll ever get from a non-dSLR. It's a bargain right now here in the States, too; I've seen it at a reputable online dealer for $610.

The A200 will be more familiar, but there are apparently some issues with soft, noisy images - a crime indeed in a $1000 (now $700) camera.

Have you dismissed the Panasonic FZ20? On the forums at DPreview, there are a lot of people quite happy with the "Fluzi" as it's been nicknamed; it's fast, IOS is effective, the lens is a flat F/2.8 throughout the zoom range, and the pic quality is very high (albeit a bit noisy). It's only 5 Mpixels, but it's also only $500.

Another thought - if you're willing to pay for an A200, and you're willing to put up with the size of the C-8080, why not get a Canon350 XT dSLR with the 18-55mm kit lens and a 3rd-party 70-200mmzoom? It'll run you about $1000 for the whole thing, and you won't care about OIS - a very low noise ISO 1600 makes OIS much less of an issue. Even though those lenses are not top of the line, they'll still give the C-8080 a run for it's money when it comes to image quality.In the future ifyou really want the image stabilization then you can spring for that nice Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/5.6 IS zoom ($600, but well worth it), and then either the very fast L series 70-200mmF/2.8 IS ($1600), or the very small EF 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 DO IS ($1200).

Hope this helps.In the end, Ithink you'll really miss theUZI; it's going to take some adjustment time no matter what you get. ECM
ecm is offline   Reply With Quote