Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:26 PM   #1

Hi all,

What is the largest "smart media" card that an Olympus C3000Z will accept? I know it will use a 64 meg, (because that is what I am using now) but they seem to be a little more easily damaged than my SD memory cards....am I correct on this? How much more can I go? megabyte wise.......Seems these cards are getting harder to find nowadays, and I want to buy some before the supply dries up???? Does anyone know if and when these cards will be totally phased out and if they are,what will us smart media users do?

I recently purchased a Panasonic FZ3 ...that takes the more abundant SD memory cards because that is what my Dell axim takes also, so that is a good deal for me.....unless those go the way of smart media, which I doubt as there are lots more devices that use thismemory.

Anyway, anyone have any idea about what is the largest capacity card I can use is? Will the smart media completly go away? What will I do if it is phased out?

bitsbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2005, 7:46 PM   #2

bitsbucket wrote:
What will I do if it is phased out?
The same thing people did with their record collections when CDs took over the market.
Sure, you'll always be able to find a variety of memory cards in second-hand shops and swap meets, but realistically speaking, as in all technology, you move upward and onward. I try to consider buying memory cards merely as part of the camera investment, so I don't base my camera-buying decisions heavily on the type of memory technology used. If I decide I want a new camera that uses a different kind of card, I'll sell my old camera and cards (together) and move to the new technology.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:17 AM   #3

The largest smarrt media card is 128mb.Read somewhere where this is the equivalent to the Betamax.I have a 3040 and love it but have upgraded to a Canon20D SLR.Shouldnt have a problem finding cards but they are expensive compared to other cards($40 for 128 mb compared to$80 for 1 GB compact flash).
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote