Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 8, 2002, 2:04 PM   #1
Default Olympus Digital Cameras C2040 vs. D 550

Was wondering if I could get some advice on digital cameras. have read quite few reviews on cameras and narrowed the choices down to either a refurbished C 2040 or a new D 550. However, need some experienced insight on cameras.

Have been using an Olympus OM-1 35 mm SLR film camera for the last 20 years. Want to make the jump to digital, but am looking to a first camera that is not mega bucks. C 2040 is attractive because of the super brite lens, but has fewer megapixels. Don't want to go the extra $$ for a 3040. D 550 has more pixels, but not as fast a lens. Plan to print pictures, but nothing larger than 5 x 7.

Any thoughts from experienced users.

Thank you.
hestermaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2002, 11:14 AM   #2

If you have been using the OM-1, you may be disappointed in the D550, just because the look and feel of the camera is so different. I haven't owned a 2040, so I can't provide any input on that one. Since you stated that you wouldn't be printing anything any larger than 5x7's, I wouldn't worry about the difference in picture quality in a 2mp and 3 mp camera.

If you are looking for a digital camera similar to SLR's, I would recommend a refurbished C-2100. It's what I got to replace my Contax 139 Quartz SLR that I had been using for over 20 years. The C-2100 comes with everything you need to get started, and it has all the bells and whistles you may want to play around with. Besides, it takes great pictures!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote