Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

View Poll Results: Which would you buy? Fuji s602 or Olympus c-730?
C-730 3 100.00%
s602 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 9, 2002, 11:46 AM   #1
Default C-730 vs. Fuji s602?

Someone asked about the 3800 v. the c-730, but it seems to me the question is between the C-730 and S602, which is what I'm trying to figure out. Both have many auto and manual features. Both are in the $500-$600 price range. The S602 seems to have a bit more features, but the Oly has the 10X lens and Olympus has such a good reputation.

In my case, I'm looking for a point a shoot with a good lens, but I want to be able to grow into the camera and eventually use the manual features. I also want a camera that my son can use to learn about photography.

What are your thoughts on the s602 v. the c-730?

(note, this message cross posted to the Fuji forum)
allanmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2002, 1:57 PM   #2

Not a question I can answer, even for myself, really, though I've researched it a great deal and have been leaning this way and that from time to time. The two are very different, with different strengths and weaknesses that will make one better for some and the other better for others.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 2:51 PM   #3

The problem with asking this is you have to find someone who has used both, as in this (and the Fuji) forum you'll only get biases in favor of the brand they bought...but having used a C-700 for three months, I think I'd rather have the Fuji as it seems to be more like a "real" camera rather than a digital toy:

The shape and feel of the Fuji (rather than the flatness of the Oly), dual strap points that can use a proper strap (rather than the single point shoelace point of the C-7x0), a proper viewinder hood that you can mount an eyecup to (the C-7x0 one is a joke or afterthought), and a flash hotshoe.

I admit I haven't tried the Fuji, but after using the Oly I wished I had at least tried the Fuji...even with the Fuji 6x lens (35-210) vs. the Oly 10x lens (38-380).

I've used a fully manual 35mm for 20 years, and that's why I think the way I do. To me the Oly design is a kid's toy.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 4:27 PM   #4

Surprises me how much people care about the look or feel of a camera, beyond size weight concerns as such. Actually, I much prefer the form of the C-730. I prefer to shoot without attracting attention. The bigger and fancier looking the camera, the more attention it draws, and the harder it is to get good candids. If I could get a DSLR that looked like an instamatic, that would be ideal for me.

Incidentally, Bradly at dpreview owns (get this) the C-730, the Fuji S602 and the Sony F-707. Between the first two, he seems to prefer the Fuji, but he keeps the Oly for its peculiar advantages.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote