Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 1, 2005, 7:49 AM   #1

this camera is the perfect camera it appears....

EXCEPT for the proprietary battery! What were they thinking? And the battery life stinks. Wonderful image quality, great movie mode, solid build, but man that battery.

I am still thinking of getting one, regardless of the battery fiasco. However, I was hoping someone could fill me in on how long the battery lasts while doing video, and how many still shots most of you have gotten while using just the EVF and zoom? I am very fond of the build quality, zoom, picture quality and features on this camera. However, I will be heading to remote parts of Montana(northern yellowstone and Glacier national park)for photo and video filming, where there is no electricity. Will be taking around 900 photos and about an hour and a half of video. I am seriously considering building a nihm AA external battery pack with cord to power the camera. The case is 4$ and fits in your pocket. Supposedly people are getting 500 photos with this. Only bummer is the wire going from your pants to Dc input on the camera. Maybe it would be good to use just for video.

Speaking of the video, I have seen a nice example of the mp4 of a squirrel using digital zoom on the c770. I understand that you canuse the 12x optical as long as you have an external mic plugged in. Has anyone tried this, and does it work well? How doe the C770 handle the zoom in video mode? It seemed to handle the squirrel fairly well with it;s digital zoom.

I have basically ruled out the Canon S2 after seeing all the image noise at ISO 50, and I feel it's a poor value. The only other camers I am considering now are the s5100 and the e550,or the Sony h1. Thanks for any comments!

montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2005, 12:25 PM   #2

I just got a Fuji 5100 and it is certainly not in the same class as the 770. I guess I got spoiled by my previous Olympus C-4000 which is a very stoutly built camera - the 5100 is aplastic camera and it feels like it. I agree about the 770 battery issue - if the 770 used AA's it would be a no brainer for me to get one. I am returning the 5100 and trying a Canon S2 today. Don't get me wrong -for about $300 with the current $50 rebate, the 5100 is a bargain - I just want a little more ruggedly built camera with a few more features. As far as the battery problem with the 770 is concerned, that can be easily solved - buy a voltage inverter such as this one...http://www.invertersrus.com/inv400w.html and buy a couple of extra batteries .... http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/...oductDetail.do

and you can be charging one battary in your car while using the other.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote