Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 30, 2002, 11:00 PM   #1
Default Chromatic aberration in the C5050Z?

I've been reading reviews of this camera everywhere I can. All of the reviews I've seen are positive overall, with only two being very critical of the chromatic aberration they've seen with the camera. Other reviewers have either not mentioned CA or were not bothered by what they saw.

As I've decided that this is almost certainly going to be the first digital camera I buy, I would like C5050Z owners to relate their experiences with CA in this camera, and read their frank opinions of just how "bad" this alleged chromatic aberration really is, or if the tales about it are merely nit picking.

Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2002, 11:53 AM   #2

You'll be hard pushed to find a digicam without this problem. I find it usually manifests itself along branches with a bright white sky.

I've learned to live with it and if it's spoiling a really good photo I can post process it out.

It's not too much of a problem usually.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 12:03 PM   #3

Here's a page which explains CA and how to get rid of it:

but as you can see from that page it's not just Olympus that suffers from this.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 2:12 PM   #4

I have the C3000 and C4040. It is worst at wide aperture and widest angle, and goes away pretty much by stopping down a stop or two and narrowing the angle slightly. I have started using a standard (not wide angle) collapsible rubber hood on the C4040 to show me where the widest angle I should use is. In other words, if the angle is too wide, I will get dark corners from the hood. I also use the Manual/Shutter/Aperture metering modes so I can avoid f1.8. These cameras aren't real wide angle anyway. This also limits the most severe barrel distortion. .
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 10:17 AM   #5

the 5050 uses the same lens as the 4040, so the results on CA would be the same as that, minus the ccd. If they are different, it is not the lens element groupings that cause it, but the ccd. I havent noticed any CA out of the ordinary on my 5050.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 2:34 PM   #6

CA is not very noticeable with the C-5050Z. Go and buy it, it's a nice cam.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote