Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 30, 2002, 11:18 PM   #1
Default Upgrade from D-600L?

I got the wants for a new camera.

Would like to have: Wider angle capability, at least 3 mega pixels, optical viewfinder, greater optical zoom than 3:1, hopefully SM and xD, quicker flash recovery, more compact size than D-600L

Price is important $ 4 to 5 is my upper limit.

Need advice on which Olympus. Thanks
Tony Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2003, 2:15 PM   #2

No such animal. Probably the closest in your price range would be the C730. It will probably drop in price soon. The viewfinder isn't optical, but is newer generation than the C700. Almost anything other than the E10/E20 is smaller than the D600L.
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 7:28 PM   #3

The C730 would be ideal. I am assuming that by "optical viewfinder" you meant SLR or through the lens not actually optical since most all cameras including $25 cheapies have optical viewfinders. The C730 uses an electronic viewfinder, which in my opinion is the best of both worlds. It gives you what you see is what you get composition, and also displays all of the camera information such as shutter speed, aperture etc. which is usually displayed only on the LCD of most cameras. You can also review and do all the same functions that the main LCD does since the viewfinder is actually an LCD display of the same resolution as the main LCD.

I've had the C700 which is the 2MP version that preceded the C720 and C730, both of which are 3MP. I love the 10X zoom and have not had a problem with blur. I have had years of experience with long lenses on film cameras and a steady hand.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote