Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 22, 2003, 2:41 PM   #1
Default 100% NEW

Good afternon ladies and gentleman. I'm a 100% newbe, new to this site, new to digital phtography, and the proud (I think) new owner of a C-4000.

I searched around for about a month and decided to get this camera. That descision alone was a tough one. Too many choices.
Now I'm second guessing my self. Did I get more than I should have from the getgo? I'm only up to P. 41 of the manual on the
CD, I guess I have to put that in everytime to read it. I kinda of wanted to get something to use now and to grow into. I didn't want to want a new camera next year.

I have taken some pics, put them on the computer and emailed them to my kids.
The instructions have been a bit intimadating. I spent about a half hour looking at the top of the camera trying to find the "Top Menu".

I think I have a lot to learn, hopefully you all can help me out.Thanks to all.
Kentarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2003, 3:01 PM   #2

Congrats! I just bought the same camera about a month ago. I upgraded from a 1.3mp Olympus d340r and I'm hoping to completely abandon my 35mm Minolta Maxxum SLR camera. I picked the C4000Z because I wanted the manual flexibility of a traditional SLR without going broke to buy a digital one. After researching the C4000Z, I was convinced that it is the best camera on the market in it's price range. I also bought an Epson Photo 825 printer with the $75 combined rebate and have been thoroughly impressed. In fact, I've received many compliments from casual observers and fellow photographers about the quality of the images I've taken with the C4000Z.

Another great thing about this camera is the fact that you can put it in point-and-shoot mode for brainless picture taking. Since it is digital, it makes learning photography (ie: priority mode, aperature mode, etc) easier since you can see your results immediately.

mtfbwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2003, 3:18 PM   #3

1. Congradulations. You are in for lots of fun.
2. Start by shooting in auto mode "P". Press the shutter halfway and when you see the green light in the viewfinder, finish pressing the shutter. This will help prevent blurry pics.
3. You will get use to the menu.
4. After a several weeks of just shooting pics, then expand and try some of the manual settings.
5. Most important shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, etc.

Try this website for information on digital photography

gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2003, 3:52 PM   #4

I second Phil's recommendation for Shourtcourses, it's a great resource.

I bought my C-4000 a week ago, and am having a blast with it. I love its point-and-shoot simplicity when I want it, and all the manual settings in the world also when I want it.

Remember, everything after the camera is free, so shoot as many photos as you can and see what works for you.

If you are having a buyer's remorse and want to make sure you got a good camera, check out www.imaging-resource.com for their review of the camera. When printed out, it's about 28 pages and discusses the camera in detail.

Have fun!
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote